Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-28-24 10:18AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Rain, cold & fish

I am happy to report that I was the photographer on this float.

Started yesterdaye morning at o'dark thirty and by the time I hit the freeway it was pouring.  Called Doug and asked him about our sanity and he said the weather reports that it'll stop soon and we'll have a light rain all day.  He was right - except for it was more like a light drizzle or misting than rain. 

We both had our gortex waders and rain jacket on and after unloading the kayaks, I decided to shed a layer.  It was chilly the rest of the day but warmed up quickly when I picked up a paddle. 

Since Doug had the day, I'll let him talk about the trip.  Needless to say he got the numbers, size and variety.

I ended up with three fish; biggest in the 17" range.  Everything on a tube.  They wouldn't touch anything else I threw

https://i.imgur.com/0P1OSzG.jpg

Here's some shots I took of Doug on the trip

https://i.imgur.com/yG8LImc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/u02DJCm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/O83kOLO.jpg

#2 Mar-28-24 10:40AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Rain, cold & fish

Good work boys!

George always says that when it rains, the fish are already wet. They don't care.

Brrrr....

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Mar-28-24 10:53AM

Kayakist

Well done.  Time to get my gear out  of storage.

#4 Mar-28-24 11:23AM

Oubassman
Northern Snakehead

Kayakist wrote:

Well done.  Time to get my gear out  of storage.

It should never be in storage 🤣🤣🤣

#5 Mar-28-24 12:20PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Oubassman wrote:

It should never be in storage 🤣🤣🤣

Great job and excellent quote.  Especially with all the warmer weather we have been getting in the "Winter".

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#6 Mar-28-24 6:57PM

Ernie
Administrator

drxfish wrote:

Especially with all the warmer weather we have been getting in the "Winter".

Nonsense! lol We only hit 70df 3 or 4 times this winter. It might be less cold. Period!

I remember riding my bike on New Years Day a dozen or so years back and I only ride if it's 65dF or above.

Yet it FL, they had a record cold winter...for them anyway! lol

#7 Mar-29-24 4:53AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Great job especially in the challenging conditions.

#8 Mar-29-24 6:32AM

Oubassman
Northern Snakehead

Thanks for snapping a few pics George, had a great time getting back on the river after the largemouth held me over.  Like George said, got some numbers, size and variety.

Actually ended up with 4 smallies, 1 little largemouth, a nice size fall fish and a a catfish that I thought was another 20" smallie when it first hit.  Started splashing and pulling pretty good, then it got close and I saw the profile. 

Biggest smallie in that first pick was ALMOST 18.5" and chunky. Caught that in first 15 minutes below launch.  Did the old cast into an eddy area, sat rod down to adjust kayak position, picked it back up and fish was already on. Thought it was snagged till it started pulling.  That fish hit this straight tail minnow on a stand up bighead.
https://images2.imgbox.com/fb/88/S1l5J8S2_o.jpg

Shortly after that, caught on about 13" on a xhatterbait with swimbait trailer, first one on that lure.  Later on in the float, we were close together and I made a cast with chatterbait, again sat down the rod and George saw the fish start to swim off with the lure and I couldn't get a hook set.  Not big but we got a laugh out of that.

Rest of the fish was caught on that stand up jighead and minnow.  I started throwing that back in December and really like it.  The zman bighead I throw it on does a pretty good job on not snagging a lot.

It was great being back on the river and catching some smallies.  And overall we stayed pretty dry after the rain on the drive down

#9 Mar-29-24 2:05PM

Ernie
Administrator

We actually had rain here most of the day and I thought you guys were nuts...until George filled me in. Well done again!

#10 Mar-29-24 3:01PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

It was chilly.  Not wet - well, except for the water flowing down my paddle when I was holding it up.  Sleeve on the rain jacket disintegrated and the water went right down my arm.  Brr. 

My buddy throws that chatter bait on the Susky and his pix are impressive.  I got a few - need to start carrying them.

Board footer