Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-19-24 1:16PM

Ernie
Administrator

4-19-24, UP

Greg and I went back and forth about where to fish today, shad or smallies. Finally, we agreed on smallies so off we went.

I think we were on the water before 8a.

As I mentioned in John's post. The weatherman really didn't know what to expect for today. It was windy and that created lots of waves on a fairly fast flowing river (had just dropped below 5' at POR).

Our 1st stop produced nothing but me gripping about the wind and chilly temps! lol

We went up river a bit. John said he saw us, I never saw him. He was perfectly camouflaged.

Our 2nd spot was a loser as well. So we made a longer run and settled in to a large eddy.

Here, Greg got the skunk off with a smallish smallie but he would not let me take the pic.

We fished the other side of the eddy and nothing...

https://i.imgur.com/6IlGESg.jpeg

...so I told Greg, Lets run down and see what happens in other spots.

By now, the waves were bigger and I was getting wet so I tucked in to the inside of Selden Island but we could not find a bite. We ran down some more to just past Broad Run and finally, Greg caught another one.

https://i.imgur.com/miq6QPR.jpeg

We then went to the bottom of the chute and I was able to connect!

https://i.imgur.com/vifM6Vu.jpeg

By now, the wind had calmed down but I was wind whipped.

Positioning the boat today was a struggle. And we had plenty of annoying hangups.

But we has a lot of fun yappin' about stuff (Greg likes to hear about old man crap lol).

We took out and John had just come in. He was beaming! As he should.

For lunch, I suggested Thai food to Greg and he bit on it.

We went to Sortrel Thai Restaurant & Bar where George and I have visited after hiking. It was great as usual!

PS- I am expecting a great report from George and Leon who fished the 'doah today. Stay tuned.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Apr-19-24 1:42PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 4-19-24, UP

Nice.  At least you and Greg both got the skunk out.  I was thinking that maybe the higher water lately has the smallies up in the creek to do their thing?  I guess lunch brought Ernie back from the brink of hypothermia.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Apr-19-24 6:59PM

Oubassman
Northern Snakehead

Nice job on battling it out and managing to catch a few!!!

#4 Apr-21-24 7:20AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

To add to Ernie's post - We hit that spot with the rocks  (first pic) for a LONG time and couldn't get a bite.  That picture only shows 1/4 of it.  It "looked" like it should have been holding fish.  So much of the right kind of water, structure, eddies, currents.  It had everything.   Frustrating.  I caught both my fish on a spinnerbait and I believe Ernie got his on a swimbait(?). 

And, I am very proud I have fooled Ernie into thinking I like his "old man" stories.  You wouldn't believe the things I have to listen to just to get a ride on the boat!!

#5 Apr-21-24 12:34PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

GregF wrote:

We hit that spot with the rocks  (first pic) for a LONG time and couldn't get a bite.  That picture only shows 1/4 of it.  It "looked" like it should have been holding fish.  So much of the right kind of water, structure, eddies, currents.  It had everything.  !

Fish are now transitioning from depth to feeding area's, putting their feed bags on,  then spawning. 

Current brings food while the fish are hanging out in eddies behind or next to current

Think lazy boy next to the grocery store.

#6 Apr-21-24 1:46PM

Ernie
Administrator

That’s exactly where we were. That’s why it was frustrating.

BTW, a friend who fishies up at POR area believes some spawned during the last full moon. Relatedly, a local guide said they spawn in May. We have a full moon coming up in 4 days.

Time to go fishin' again!

#7 Apr-22-24 5:03AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

we never know when or where, but getting out there can guarantee the opportunity.  Thanks for the report!!  Really cool area you guys were focused on too.

#8 Apr-22-24 6:31AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

Ta local guide said they spawn in May..

Just had a good discussion on this with allot of respected river anglers.  Their consensus was the prespawn period is typically when water temps are between mid 40 degrees to upper 50's, with the “Magic Number” being around 60 degrees for smallmouth to be in full-blown spawn mode.  And smallmouth do not all spawn at the same time.  In an area with no cover and direct sun, they could be the first spawning fish.  In an area with plenty of cover they could be the late spawners

In one of his books, Penrod says that smallies do not follow calendars, instead they follow outside temperature, water temperature, moon phase and water level.

Yeah, I know, picky picky picky

Board footer