Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-29-09 3:39PM

Ernie
Administrator

8-29-09, Wicomico River report

All I heard on the radio last night was how nasty the weather might be on Saturday morning...impending doom was the call of the TV weather guys....a hurricane is out and about in the Atlantic Ocean.

I got to Carl's around 4 AM and after a little cleanup (Summer tipped over a potted plant); we were on the road....a wet road. It rained on and off all the way to Chaptico but it stopped once we got the necessities at the Chaptico Deli. They had what we wanted, their homemade bread pudding, and we bought some.

Once we launched, the 1sty place we hit was the duck blind by the little creek. Surely we could get some stripers on top water since the sun had not yet come up and it was cloudy. Perfect conditions....NOT! We could not buy a bite. So we switched to perch lures and we still couldn't buy a bite. Finally we caught a few but it was slow. We were on an incoming tide.

The river was calm and it would stay that way most of the morning.

I wanted to fish St. Margaret’s Island but last time Carl tried it, he and Mo almost got swamped. I knew we couldn’t get that today since we never had anything more than a 3” wave. But we settled at Whites Bar and picked up a few more perch.....between us, we had maybe 15. I had a comfortable 5 perch lead most of the time. Carl would do anything to catch up....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0406.jpg

Finally, I convinced Carl to let me run up to St. Margaret’s and off we went. On the 1st pass of the lee side, we picked up one perch so we then tried the left side....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0404.jpg

.... and got 1 or 2 more. There are two peacocks in that picture.

Carl then said to head back to Bikini Beach but I really wanted to try the lee side one more time. After a little convincing, we started fishing and catching many a white perch. So many that my 5 perch lead dwindled and I suddenly found myself down by 12! No more of this so we moved back to Whites Bar....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0407-1.jpg

....and I started to catch up to Carl. I got to within 2 perch! roll

We started back toward the ramp, stopping at a few known honey holes, when Carl hooks into what appeared to be a keeper striper. I grabbed the net and was ready to land the beast but I looked at Carl’s line and it had slack on it. The striper beat him down. It took a few minutes for the adrenalin rush to subside. We kept fishing and suddenly, I was up 54-53. At this point, I declared that the day was done but Carl, who was dead tired by now, insisted on trying to tie me. So that he would not feel bad, I started striper fishing and messed up my line which caused me to retie a blood knot. While I sat there, helpless without a fishing pole in my hand, Carl retook the lead, 55-54 and declared that we had to go home.

Let me tell you what it’s like to fish with Carl. This picture….

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0405.jpg

…..is a visual of what happens if you get out too far in front of him. He is very good with a fillet knife! Often, he would tell me to do different chores while he kept fishing as he tried to catch up to me. More than once, he offered me cold drinks and food and told me to “take it easy”.

When I came home, my wife looked at me and thought I had gotten into a fight. I have several bruises on my legs and arms, all caused by Carl.   tongue

Today was good, we started really slow but the numbers started getting better as we explored new holes. In total, we caught 109 fish; 1 blue, 3 stripers (non keepers) and the rest were white perch.

A stop at T & J BBQ finished out the great day!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Aug-29-09 5:11PM

doberdog1

Re: 8-29-09, Wicomico River report

I thought Carl did that to me only, I feel for you Ernie.  It sounds like you guys had a good day.

Mo

#3 Aug-29-09 6:45PM

Ernie
Administrator

doberdog1 wrote:

I thought Carl did that to me only, I feel for you Ernie.  It sounds like you guys had a good day.

You know, he has a reputation to uphold so he is crafty.

We definitely enjoyed the day...lots of laughter...and pain!

#4 Aug-30-09 3:05PM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

OK--now for the real story. From the moment I was permitted to board my boat, I had to fish with a decided handicap. Captain Rojas chose where we were to fish; and when we arrived he took over the electric motor and I was sent to the stern.

As he manuevered the bow into the "honey hole", I was left to cast around piers or over rock piles while he had a clean shot at the quarry. Another reason for his immediate leap ahead was because he felt it was below the captain's dignity to put the fish in the cooler. That menial task was left to me. As he caught a perch it was tossed on the deck. This definitely afforded him more fishing time.

On those rare occasions, when I got hung-up on the bottom, I had to wait until he caught all the fish from that area before he would drive the boat over to assist me! The fact that I was able to keep up with his numbers is a testament to my level of proficiency. A lesser man would have given up.

Now let's address those graphic pictures of his injuries. Most boats have brackets on the bulkhead which hold paddles and dock poles. In his zest to beat this old veteran, he dashed back and forth from bow to stern to seek the advantage. After he bumped the bracket the first time, I felt bad for him. After he bumped it for the fourth time, I felt less sorry. Between his cries of pain he would announce the score.

Quite often the score did not seem correct. On those occasions when we were both catching fish at the same time, his number went up while mine remained stagnant!

Oh well, I've been fishing with this man for twenty-five years, neither of us is likely to change his habits. I know-- I'll buy him one of those clicker counter things!!

#5 Aug-30-09 3:45PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

u r a funny guy carl !

i always suspected a more ruthless agenda beneath the rojas congeniality facade....

#6 Aug-30-09 3:50PM

Ernie
Administrator

You spared no details......except for the time we were both on the bow, back to back, trying to "one up" each other!

It's always good to fish with Carl because there will always be a moment for the books: "get the net", trail mix for lunch, breaking ice to get to the honey hole, the fillet knife incident in DC, a broken rod trying to land a huge skate...it goes on and on!!     cool

#7 Aug-30-09 4:59PM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

After fifty plus years of enjoying this magnificent pastime, I thought I had seen most of the odd antics that fishermen will attempt, but Ernie came up with a new one. In deference to our friendship I will leave it up to him to explain why, at one point yesterday, he found it necessary to attempt to reel with his teeth while holding the rod with one hand!

#8 Aug-30-09 5:03PM

Ernie
Administrator

Carl wrote:

I will leave it up to him to explain why, at one point yesterday, he found it necessary to attempt to reel with his teeth while holding the rod with one hand!

Wow...how do I explain this one? Let's see, fish on, I am busy so I lift the rod and put the handle in my mouth and I started rotating the rod in an attempt to bring in the tying fish! I did what any man would do!!

Board footer