Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-27-09 10:25AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

What would you bring?

Say your going away for a couple months and you could only bring a limited amount of fishing gear...what would you bring?

Rod(action, spincasting, baitcasting, etc.)?

Line?

A few baits (color and size)?

This is for an area you have never fished before...

Small box..

Last edited by redskinsfan360 (Jul-27-09 10:29AM)

#2 Jul-27-09 10:47AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: What would you bring?

Rod- one of each with 12-17 lb line

Line- get it at Wal Mart or BPS if you need some...too bulky to take down

Baits- Get 3 clear boxes (5-6" X 10-12").....1 for hard baits, 1 for soft plastics (sneak some of your favorite packs in your shoes) and 1 for spinners and buzzbaits. Then bring one small box for hooks, beads and weights.

If you need more, have your mom/dad mail you some in a care packege along with some home made cookies!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jul-28-09 4:13AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Sounds like you are getting excited for your college experience to get underway!

Keep it simple. 2 Rods. 2 Reels. Breakdowns if you have them, but one pieces can be easily stored in the closet or the corner...though you are handy if you wanted to use them as wall ornaments.

The amount of baits and tackle you bring is subject to how frequently you think you will be fishing. A few bags of soft plastics with some bullet weights. A couple of spinner baits (one willow leafed, one colorado leafed), a couple of crank baits, a couple of top waters, and you are good for the fall.

In terms of line, you are entering the fall season so the thick grasses begin to break down. Unless you are fishing super heavy and rough cover (wood, rocks), you only need 12lb line (baitcaster) and maybe 8lb line (spinning) with the 12 being mono or copolymer and the 8 being fluorocarbon.

Good luck down at school and keep fishing!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#4 Jul-28-09 5:19AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

i would take a good 5' ultralight, with 4# line

some jig heads, twister tails, and finesse hooks for throwing weightless plastics ( fluke, senko etc)

you can catch minnows to lunkers w/ this rig

i did it for years, while the rest of my tackle pile gathered dust

#5 Jul-28-09 7:24AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

I make similiar decisions when i go out to new bodies of water where I'll be fishing ths shore and would prefer not to bring too much gear.

What I like are:
1 x baitcaster M to MH combo with either 12-14# mono/copoly/hybrid line or 30# braid depending on whether or not I'm fishing in thick stuff
1 x spinning ML combo wit 6# test

i condense most of my gear into one tackle box with two spinner baits (white and white/chart), mepps inline spinners, a shallow and medium diving crank, a walk the dog stick, buzzbait (ghost minnow and black), a soft bodied frog, a jig or two, and a swim bait. The rest are soft plastics: a mixed bag of tubes, lizards, senkos, and flukes. I then pick a few packs of 3/0-5/0 EWG hooks, 1/8-1oz slip sinkers, pliers, sunblock, super toxic deet bug repellent and I'm good to go.

Sounds like a lot but it really isn't and its usually all I need.

Also helps if you know what kind of fish are down there and what types of water you'll be fishing.

#6 Jul-28-09 7:36AM

Ernie
Administrator

There is a place down there they call Jurassic Park....the big swamp. If you get to fish it...bring heavy gear!

#7 Jul-28-09 8:19AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

At school I had two or three rods (two pieces) that I kept in a ceiling high closet and a big tackle bag from Bass Pro (the kind that holds four 3700 boxes) that I kept under my bed. I could fit everything I needed into that one bag but it sucked to carry around. I would just take a few baits out of it when I went fishing.

It helped that my roommate was my twin brother so he put up with my stuff. (A roommate that you just met might not take to the scent of Powerbait very well....)

#8 Jul-28-09 11:19AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

My dad and I did a trip to the boundary waters canoe area in MN about ten years ago. I took a 5' 6" baitcaster and a 6' spinning rod. He took just a single spinning (the one was to the the spare between us). For tackle, single box of spinner baits (colorado blades, gold, blue/green skirt), various broken back rapala minnows, and a few countdown minnows, buzzbait, and some 6" shad assassins for the larger pike. It all fit in a single plano clear box.  I think I had on 12 lb line, brought a bunch of steel leaders as well.

#9 Aug-04-09 1:41AM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

Charlie:
Having fished most of the waters in that area, all you really need is a medium action spinning rod with 10# line. A small box with 1/4 oz. spinnerbaits, shallow and deep diving crankbaits, a couple of topwater poppers and soft plastics of your choice, along with terminal tackle. Most of the lakes in the area are tannic. Next to no grass. Plenty of pads and cypress trees. Great fishing. You will love it.

When you get there and get ready to head out to a lake, drop me a line and I will try to offer some guidance.

Charlie NHBA.........

#10 Aug-04-09 5:07AM

Ernie
Administrator

Charlie NHBA wrote:

When you get there and get ready to head out to a lake, drop me a line and I will try to offer some guidance.

Take him up on this!!!!!

#11 Aug-04-09 5:18AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks Charlie!  And thanks for all the other advice guys!

#12 Aug-04-09 11:38AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I am looking forward to crashing Charlie's college campus with a group of anglers ready to test the local waters. Keep reporting on the conditions and fishing down there Charlie because you could get a surprise visit for an impromptu tournament! haha

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

Board footer