Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-03-09 6:00PM

bassman
Northern Snakehead

Shenandoah River Report 7-1-09

Wednesday we did a canoe float down a great stretch of the Shenandoah River outside of Front Royal.  Unfortunately the citation smallies kept hidden . . . but that didn't spoil an almost perfect day on the river.  The water was clear and had dropped from the recent rains.  The weather was great, and we all ended up with decent sunburns.  Had over 6 hours of fishing on a little over 3 miles of river.  The first half was slow and had infrequent fish, most on the small side.  But about halfway we got into a stretch of river that was unbelievable - we were pulling in fish on almost every cast.  Pumpkin or dark green worms and grubs on jig heads were pure magic.  Very large fish were jumping around the canoes, but we couldn't get any on the hook.  I had a couple of very large hook-ups, but twice had my line broke (I was only using 6lb, and should have used heavier).There were even a few largemouths of decent size.  Andrew caught the biggest smallie in my boat - it weighed 1lb14oz on the scale, but felt twice that - and it put up a great fight.

We'll definitely do another float later in the summer.  In my book it's the best way to fish.

#2 Jul-04-09 4:47AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: Shenandoah River Report 7-1-09

Those large fish that jump around the boat are called "agrafish" and of the genius "agravationlis" ... The larger ones are "maximus agrafish". Do not attempt to catch them as they only respond to emotions.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#3 Jul-05-09 5:57AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Shenandoah River Report 7-1-09

That's a great float and a great way to catch many of those aggressive smallies. That 1.4 pounder will make a 3 pound Cedar fish seem small.

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer