Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-12-09 7:01PM

Ernie
Administrator

6-12-09, Fly casting lessons w/ Joe Cap

At the CCA Banquet last March, Jamie Gold and I went in on a Silent Auction item for a three (3) hour fly casting lesson from Joe Cap to be conducted in Kent Narrows VA. So I got the bright idea that it would be pretty cool to take my boat and then have Joe give us a "hands on" lesson Man....did he! he also hijacked my boat....I rarely got to drive it today. Joe served as our guide and casting instructor.

We met up at 7 AM and it was threatening to rain. That threat turned real as soon as we splashed the boat in the water. But we moved on to the 1st spot. Here, Joe is basically saying "we are going to drift pretty quickly, you need to hit that corner with your cast".

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0040.jpg

Honestly, today was not about fishing but about getting the fly in the right pace at the right time. This is not an easy thing to do when you are drifting. I can make 4-5 casts with my baitcatser to every one fly cast but the hookups are much better when on the fly! We went to a few fishiy spots and made casts to targets that Joe would pick out.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0043.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0044.jpg

The fishing was slow for sure but the three hour lesson turned to an 8 hour day on the water. i think we got our money's worth.

One of the neat things about learning an area is also geteting to know soe of the folks that fish that water. below is a picture of Ed Liccione who was doing a little morning fishing before heading up to NJ for a wedding.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0045.jpg

He did catch a few but he told us about a trip he is taking later this summer down to FL. Ed won a Sailfly tournament last year which was an IGFA qualifying event for the Inshore Championship. This will be covered by ESPS! Very cool!

We continued to cast our arms off and yes...I caught a little striper..... but Joe wouldn't let me take his picture!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0047.jpg

I can tell you that I am wiped! After casting all day on the boat, we went back to Shore Tackle and talked with Billy, the owner. Next thing I know, we are back in the parking lot making casts.

Without question, I improved my cast. And without question, I realize how much there is to making a proper cats. At the same time, I realize that few people do it so it's kinda cool to be in the minority!

One thing for sure, Joe does not hold back. He tells you where your flaw is but he tells you how to correct it. When I was in the groove, the line just snapped on the reel. ! If you fly fish, you will know what I mean.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Jun-12-09 9:08PM

Bob B
Northern Snakehead

Re: 6-12-09, Fly casting lessons w/ Joe Cap

Nice report and pix.

Go Fish!

#3 Jun-17-09 1:32PM

Ernie
Administrator

It has been buggiing me that even though we were there for cating lessons, we did have hooks (flies) in the water.

Ed Liccione (in the Parker above) just posted on another board about May worms.

He said that "the month of June is transition time in the mid bay - fish have moved off of the structure and it's too early for consistent breaking fish.  You really have to do a lot of hunting most times to locate and catch fish unless you are fishing end of the day to last light when the bite seems to improve.  Yesterday, a couple of buddies and I decided to do some exploring for the day.  It was a long tough day with the three of us catching less than ten fish (two were 20 inches and one was a hefty 26 inches).  The conditions were perfect for a shallow water bite, with overcast skys and a spit of rain, but we caught only two of the fish in the shallows,  One of my friends on another boat had a similar day and kept one fish for the table - he called me last night and said when he cleaned the fish it was full of "May Worms".  This made sense when you considered how the fish were acting - suspended at around 20 feet of water in depths of 35 to 40 feet with a very light bite.  Not overly unusual to have two seperat hatches in a 30 day period, but it sure makes it a tougher time to catch fish in this transitional period."

So it wasn't me after all.......    tongue

#4 Jun-22-09 6:11AM

SimonSays

Pacemaker wrote:

When I was in the groove, the line just snapped on the reel. ! If you fly fish, you will know what I mean.

I try and fly fish but I have no idea what you mean sad

#5 Jun-22-09 6:30AM

Ernie
Administrator

Simon- what this means is that I was making really good casts. When the rod is loaded propely, the line will shoot out and literally snap when it al goes out. I don't mean it snaps at the end of the line but right out from the reel. It snaps on the rod itself.

Board footer