Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-25-09 1:43PM

Ernie
Administrator

5-25-09, Goose Creek/Upper Potomac River report

We had a good crew today, the fishing started out at Kephart.

Bob Morgan came all the way from the other side of the Beltway to Join Charlie and me. Here they are ready to get on the water.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2710.jpg

On a canoe were Doug Errett and Dave Post.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2712.jpg

They were fly fishing but they needed to be done with the float by noon so they took off for the main river. We never saw them again!

We had just been on the water 10-12 minutes when I hear Charlie saying he has a nice fish on. It turned out to be the biggest smallie of the day at 19 inches!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2714.jpg

Nice way to get started! Bob then caught his first smallie in his new kayak.....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2715.jpg

....and a few minutes later he got hit hard and the smallie jumped out of the water with a ruckus. Unfortunately, Bob was not able to land it but Charlie and I both saw it. Not to be outdone, Bob then hooked into the biggest large mouth bass of the day!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2716.jpg

I had managed to catch a small large mouth bass in the Creek and then a 12 inch smallie on the main stem.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2718.jpg

This was a cool sight...it looked like they were standing on the water.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2719.jpg

I then decide to head over to the MD side to see if the big one was over there. I did get a thrill when my tube got slammed hard. I thought.....wait, it's staying down. Must be a kitty fish.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2722.jpg

Sure enough....a channel cat....2.9 pounds!

We paddled a bit at the end as it was getting close to 7 hours on the river. All I can say is that it was a great day, the weatherman blew it and all of the other potential float members missed out on a good time.

By the way, Hershel Finch, the Conservation Chair of the Potomac River Smallmouth Club, has challenged everyone to pick up any trash you see while fishing. I can't tell you that I made a great effort but I can tell you that most of what you see below was left on the shoreline by some knuckle head that could care less about the river.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2724.jpg

I urge you to follow Herschel's call!

For the day, I caught 6 smallies, 1 largemouth and 1 channel cat. Charlie caught 8-9 smallies and some blue gills. Finally, Bob ended up with around 20 smallies, a nice largemouth and he also caught 5-6 blue gills. I will get an update from Doug and Dave.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 May-25-09 8:49PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Re: 5-25-09, Goose Creek/Upper Potomac River report

Excellent job, looks like a great day. That stretch should only get better in the next month or so.

#3 May-26-09 4:38AM

The Old Man

I ended up with 2 nice largemouth near the mouth of Goose Creek (one 19.5", one 15") and a total of 6-7 dink smallies and a handful of small sunfish.  Goose Creek looked great, I need to get back there more often...

Dave did about the same minus the big largemouth...that dude has mad casting skills, he throws a pretty line....

I forgot why I never fish that stretch of the Potomac anymore.  Until the grass beds come up, there is virtually no structure to fish unless the water quality is gin-clear, so it turns into 4 hours of blind casting.  I know there is some decent submerged structure in that stretch, but most of it is sand and gravel bottom and lousy holding water for smallies, and unless you can see it there is nothing to target.  When the grass beds come up, at least you can pitch poppers into the potholes. 

I like fishing structure, so that's why I like fishing the Breaks below the dam and the 'doah and Dargen Bend and some of the other areas with ledges, boulders, current seams, etc.  Most of that stretch is we floated yesterday is like a lake....

Anyway, thanks for a good day, sure was pretty out there.  We had a great ultra-close look at a barred owl, not 15 feet from the canoe sitting on a branch over the river.  Algonkian was a freakin' zoo when we got there....we were right on time, took out at 12p.

PS:  Nice smallie charlie!

Daddy needs quiet time...

#4 May-26-09 5:52AM

Ernie
Administrator

Glad you guys caught some fish.....it was probably too early to fish that stretch as you and Paul mentioned. The potholes in the grass are excellent to fish! But remember, one of the BRHS Fishing Club members caught a 3.8 pounder at Algonkian a couple of weeks ago!!

BTW, I have caught some nice ones on the other side of the islands during the July 4 Float. That float starts and ends at Algonkian. You paddle up as far as you want and then float back. Great way to get your exercise in!

We got back around 2 and the zoo was in full swing. On guy in a jet came between Charlie and I at full speed...right at the ramp!

Where was DNR?

#5 May-26-09 6:37AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Awesome report! Wish I could have made it! When's the next float so I can clear my schedule?

#6 May-26-09 6:44AM

Ernie
Administrator

AndrewDo124 wrote:

Wish I could have made it! When's the next float so I can clear my schedule?

July 4th....just like last year. Paddle/peddle up as far as you want and fish around Algonkian.

#7 May-26-09 10:00AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Thanks to Ernie and Charlie for a fun experience, I survived and I'm not even too sore. Dave and Doug, it was good meeting you, hope next time you can stick around a little longer.

I started off casting an old surface lure and a Berkley power tube. The better fish hit the plug including a few bluegills. The power tube drew a lot of hits with only a  few hookups. After donating the tube to a bottom snag I tried a power curly tail on a small 3/16 oz. jig head. That was a lucky choice, they really liked it.

It's amazing what you notice when you're not surrounded by fiberglass moving along under power. I saw a mink scampering along the shore and up the bank into it's den. I looked eye to eye with two turtles, one looked like a good sized snapping turtle. I only noticed one water snake that was swimming toward me. I did center myself in the kayak for a while after that sight. There were a few ospreys, and even saw some type of falcon zoom bye. Never saw the woodpeckers, but they were everywhere. One of the most numerous birds were the Blue Herons along the shore. There was this one Heron hiding back in a hollow that flew off with a loud squawk that echoed off the bank startling the devil out of both Ernie and me. Unfortunately, my camera was sitting in a "dry box" keeping dry, so the only two pics I snapped are of Ernie and Charlie, early in the day.

OK, here it is from an overweight old guy spending his first day in a kayak...... I HAD A BLAST!

1. Whoever coined the phrase "Peace and Quiet" was a kayaker.

2. It didn't take too long to learn that fishing from sea level required an adjustment to lifelong casting skills. After several power casts that splashed about ten feet away resulting in overruns, I realized I needed to add some arc by casting slightly up instead of out.

3. One application of sun block before sunrise won't make it thru a daylong trip.

4. Fishermen are like meteorologists when predicting. The trip was described as a 6 hour, leisurely float well suited to an out of shape novice. Eight hours later I was ready for a nap, but managed the drive half way around the beltway and a cool shower before fainting on the side of the bed. The younger prognosticator was honing his skills too. Once he said there were still two and a half hours to go. Two hours later he said only an hour and a half remained. Finally he told me we were almost there, "right down where those boats are". Either he was going on memory or Charlie has been endowed with eagle eyes. Nobody can see that far.

5. Please let me know when we're going again.

Here's one of Ernie
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii214/captchawk/floats/IMG_0289.jpg

And then there's Charlie (what can I say)
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii214/captchawk/floats/IMG_0288.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii214/captchawk/floats/IMG_0287.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii214/captchawk/floats/IMG_0286.jpg

Last edited by Osprey (May-26-09 10:39AM)

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#8 May-26-09 10:36AM

Ernie
Administrator

Osprey wrote:

Thanks to Ernie and Charlie for a fun experience, I survived and I'm not even too sore. Dave and Doug, it was good meeting you, hope next time you can stick around a little longer.

I started off casting an old surface lure and a Berkley power tube. The better fish hit the plug including a few bluegills. The power tube drew a lot of hits with only a  few hookups. After donating the tube to a bottom snag I tried a power curly tail on a small 3/16 oz. jig head. That was a lucky choice, they really liked it.

It's amazing what you notice when you're not surrounded by fiberglass moving along under power. I saw a mink scampering along the shore and up the bank into it's den. I looked eye to eye with two turtles, one looked like a good sized snapping turtle. I only noticed one water snake that was swimming toward me. I did center myself in the kayak for a while after that sight. There were a few ospreys, and even saw some type of falcon zoom bye. Never saw the woodpeckers, but they were everywhere. One of the most numerous birds were the Blue Herons along the shore. There was this one Heron hiding back in a hollow that flew off with a loud squawk that echoed off the bank startling the devil out of both Ernie and me. Unfortunately, my camera was sitting in a "dry box" keeping dry, so the only two pics I snapped are of Ernie and Charlie, early in the day.

OK, here it is from an overweight old guy spending his first day in a kayak...... I HAD A BLAST!

1. Whoever coined the phrase "Peace and Quiet" was a kayaker.

2. It didn't take too long to learn that fishing from sea level required an adjustment to lifelong casting skills. After several power casts that splashed about ten feet away resulting in overruns, I realized I needed to add some arc by casting slightly up instead of out.

3. One application of sun block before sunrise won't make it thru a daylong trip.

4. Fishermen are like meteorologists when predicting. The trip was described as a 6 hour, leisurely float well suited to an out of shape novice. Eight hours later I was ready for a nap, but managed the drive half way around the beltway and a cool shower before fainting on the side of the bed. The younger prognosticator was honing his skills too. Once he said there were still two and a half hours to go. Two hours later he said only an hour and a half remained. Finally he told me we were almost there, "right down where those boats are". Either he was going on memory or Charlie has been endowed with eagle eyes. Nobody can see that far.

5. Please let me know when we're going again.

Bob- this is one of the greatest posts ever!

You captured what I always think about when on the kayak. Sometimes I take it for granted but thanks for the reminder!

Time ALWAYS gets away from me. Count on it, I have said "that took longer than I expected" on every float that I have ever gone on. When we are in a boat, we can stop and go home. When on a float, we always have "an hour or two to go". I don't think we really know.

You might want to think about coming out to the Potomac River Smallmouth Fishing Club event on Wednesday. CD Dollar is going to talk about catching salt water fish out of a kayak....I am ready for that.

And you are right about that Heron that was hiding in that fallen tree....I felt my heart tick a few extra beats when he squawked!

I will keep you posted on future floats.

#9 May-26-09 11:39AM

Ernie
Administrator

I said it earlier....one of the BEST posts ever!!!lol lol lol lol

#10 May-26-09 12:42PM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

It's as if Charlie posted the pix himself...

#11 May-26-09 2:41PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

My brother said that he will teach me how to do it later (I don't think it can be done on our computer).....

#12 May-26-09 2:45PM

fishin4food
Northern Snakehead
Website

redskinsfan360 wrote:

My brother said that he will teach me how to do it later (I don't think it can be done on our computer).....

Charlie,

It CAN be done.  I do it on our computer whenever I post pics.

john.hill.t94@gmail.com

#13 May-26-09 4:33PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Curly wrote:

redskinsfan360 wrote:

Just don't turn your camera sideways when you take a photo! lol lol

Dad took the photos this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#14 May-27-09 4:41AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks for the laughs, starting with Bob
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g307/jumpingjasper/smile.gif

smile

Board footer