Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-09-09 10:27PM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

5-09-09 Pohick/Accotink Bay Report

The Hobie crew (Simon, Jeremy, and I) went out on the bay to see how the fishing was this time of the year. We got on the water around 0730 and noticed A LOT of top water action. Water was very stained from the rain and was 70* when we got in.  Fish were jumping out of the water everywhere and splashes were heard frequently. We thought it was going to be a great topwater day, but we were wrong. After wasting a few hours chasing the topwater bite we concluded that it wasn't bass causing the commotion. More than likely, the larger splashes were from carp and the smaller ones seemed to be shad or perch?

I tried to find drop offs and channels but my poor legs were out of shape and wasn't able to get very far.  I was making pitches to very tight cover and had a fish on but then realized I had no room to set the hook....it still felt good to have something on the other end of your line though!

The water warmed up to about 72* before noon and Jeremy found bait fish in the backs of the bay and was able to hook up with 2 dinks and a keeper off a top water soft plastics. Simon and I headed back to where he was and worked the lily pads wayyyy back in the cove where the water was <2ft. deep. We worked the channel that ran through the pads with some success and ended the day with enough fish to make it a good day. Although the biggest fish were only around 1.5-2lbs it was still a great outing with beautiful weather. Ended the day at 1 as the winds started to pick up. Biggest producer of the day was a white/chart. spinner bait.

Sorry, none of the fish were really picture worthy.

#2 May-10-09 4:41AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 5-09-09 Pohick/Accotink Bay Report

You guys covered some water!

American Shad get over 20" and they love to splash around. Herring will also come up and flip the water.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 May-10-09 6:39AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

I wish I brought my shad darts!

#4 May-10-09 6:51AM

rit.05

Back in the bays on the flats was probably gizzard shad, they won't really hit the shad darts or anything else for that matter. They tail flip and would spook when you got close, even in a yak. If it was dark I would guess gar splashing, if the sun was up, carp.

There are some nice bass in the Dogue Creek on the other side of Belvoir. Lots of lilies at the mouth of the marina on the north side, stumps and structure on the south side and as you continue up the creek past the marina, there are a bunch of deeper holes and a few duck blinds that hold fish. Lots of docks on the north side of the bay as well.

I'll be making a few trips from 18-22 May. Hopefully at least one to Fletchers, but I may try to grab a few stripers off of Belvoir. I'll post when I'm gonna go.

#5 May-10-09 8:40AM

Ernie
Administrator

rit.05 wrote:

If it was dark I would guess gar splashing

Now that would be a great catch!

rit.05 wrote:

I'll be making a few trips from 18-22 May. Hopefully at least one to Fletchers, but I may try to grab a few stripers off of Belvoir. I'll post when I'm gonna go.

Dan- I will be at Fletcher's on the 16th and will report. Let the Hobioe crew know when you go out.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 May-10-09 3:10PM

rit.05

I've never tried it, but.....

I have heard that you can soak a small piece of rope in blood (chicken, cow, human....) and the gar's small teeth will get caught up in it enough to reel them in.

I've only ever caught them in the cast net. They like to roll and get tangled up just to spite you.

#7 May-11-09 5:19AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Striper at belvoir?! I'll be up there on the 30th for a bday BBQ and I'm bringing the yak. Let me know if you find Striper as I'd love to catch one and throw it on the grill!

Board footer