Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-04-24 6:00AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Somedays are for watching the wildlife and making kimchi

So, I had a taste in my mouth for something I hadn't had in a long time.  Something my mom would make while I was still at home.  Radish Kimchi!  Koreans usually cube them and jar it up, but I lost my dear mom many years ago and wanted to pay homage to her by trying to make some myself.  Thankfully for the internet and youtube there are some legit recipes that I recognize as being authentic korean.  Not to say that it couldn't be updated to newer techniques, but there were some I saw that were really, really BAD by folks who shouldn't even call it kimchi. 
Anyway, my source was grandma's hands (which is I'm sure an expression for all cultures) and she is absolutely legit by looking at all her recipes.  With just a couple ingredients that you might have to go to Hmart or Lotte for (fish sauce, ginger, pepper flakes) I made my radish kimchi in less than 45 minutes (30 minutes waiting for the brine).  Small batch!

https://i.imgur.com/B048RTb.jpg

Will let you know how it turns out, but the stuffed cucumber my wife and I made 2 weeks ago look and smell amazing.  And I know it's good because this is the 5-6 time we made it.  Let's just say that my first taste of it gave me flashbacks of my moms cooking.

https://i.imgur.com/uqWchUb.jpg

After I was done I stepped outside and saw this huge eagle on a tree in the front yard eating a catch.  It looked to be a squirrel and there were 5 or 6 crows hanging right next to it yacking a lot.  That noise is what got my attention.  What's with all that crowing?

https://i.imgur.com/zUVT0Vt.jpg

Short video

https://i.imgur.com/K0faZ8U.mp4

#2 Mar-04-24 7:01AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Somedays are for watching the wildlife and making kimchi

Crows have been highly active this year, for some reason.

Cool eagle shots!!

Will that batch of Kimchi make ya sweat?

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Mar-04-24 7:21AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Awesome eagle shot/video.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 Mar-04-24 8:34AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

I keep my kimchi mild!

#5 Mar-08-24 6:58AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Luv kimshi. Never made it with radish's, but looks good.  Last batch of kimchi I made came from a Korean buddies wife.  She used citrus fruit.  Gave it a nice tang and plenty of heat. 

Haven't pickled anything for a while so may be motivated?  Use to make some pickles that were so hot you remembered them the next day. 

Pickled some of jalapeņos and yellow banana peppers Ernie grew. 

Thx for the motivation

#6 Mar-11-24 11:40AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

I love adding kimchi to a sandwich or burger. Anywhere you use pickle you can use kimchi!

tight lines

#7 Apr-03-24 6:34AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Wife gave me a 1/2 head of cabbage and wanted me to do something with it.  Cut it into 1" pieces and salted it heavily.  After 3-4 hours, rinsed out the salt and added a healthy dose of sriracha,  ground up fresh ginger, a bunch of diced up garlic cloves, fresh squeezed lime juice and some sliced onion and shallots. 

Wife can't stand the smell of it fermenting in the garage.  I say it keep out the mice LOL.  At day 5 now and it's pretty tasty.  Going to jar it and keep it as a condiment. 

Heat's about a medium.  Nothing crazy.  Ginger & lime comes through real good. 

Gave some to a friend of my wife and she ate the whole jar in one night.  Damn near killer her the next morning LOL

Last edited by hookup (Apr-03-24 6:34AM)

#8 Apr-03-24 7:06AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

What a great idea to use sriacha for the pepper element.  And, using the lime I bet added a nice freshness to it.  I think it's pretty cool to be able to adjust, modernize, take on a different taste as desired.  I'll have to get my wife's kimchi coleslaw recipe for you guys.  It goes great on a burger!

#9 Apr-03-24 11:57AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

This kimchi is a milder version.  Receipe called for gokuchan (sp?) so I used ginger, garlic & sriracha.  I usually add more heat via a reaper or scorpion chili diced up but decided not to sweat much.  Rinsing all the salt out helped tone down the heavy salt taste of kimchi and using American cabbage added a bit of a crunch.

I like modifying recipes to either my taste buds or what I have on hand that I could make work

https://i.imgur.com/CwTuc8q.jpg

Last edited by hookup (Apr-03-24 11:58AM)

#10 Apr-03-24 11:59AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

oh, and added fish sauce to the original receipe. 

imho a must!

#11 Apr-04-24 5:00AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

I've been liking the American cabbage version also!  The korean pepper flake is for color (bright red), so it's not really as hot as people think.  More of a jalapeno level heat.  Definitely not a reaper! And, yes....Fish sauce is a must in most recipes.  This year, I've done radish, cabbage, cucumber and mustard green kimchi just for fun.

#12 Apr-04-24 1:24PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Sounds great.

I pickled some cucumbers with reapers.  Shared them with Ernie.  We both like them but WOW were they volcanic!

#13 Apr-04-24 3:05PM

Ernie
Administrator

hookup wrote:

.  We both like them but WOW were they volcanic!

They. Were. Great.

Time to go fishin' again!

#14 Apr-05-24 4:44AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

I'm laughing so hard over here ernie!!  I have tears in my eyes!!

Board footer