Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-10-23 4:52AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Grass Grass and more grass

Got out with Leon yesterday on a 6.5 mile float.  Water was nice but the trip started with grass beds and they only got thicker as the float continued.

Coupdn't ask for a better day as far as weather goes.  Slight breeze, bump in the water, mid 60's launch.

Got hotter as the day went on and the cloud cover started coming out bringing the winds.  We thought the wind would help the fishing but it didn't.

Ran into a guy that caught a 22" from a Mokai.  it was just shy of 4 pounds.  I luv that boat.  Considered buying one but at $5k for a kayak it just wasn't in the cards.  I've seen him run that stretch and flip years ago.  Made the comment "just don't gun that motor in a turn" and he started cracking up saying he learned that lesson.  I said Yup, saw that.  We both had a laugh.

Fishing was slow.  I broke double digits and Leon said I kicked his butt.  Couple nice size chunks but nothing warranted pulling the camera out.

Grass got thicker the further we floated. 

Had a flotilla pass us with at least 50 kayaks.  Never seen that many from one group.  Fish stopped biting as they approached us so we pulled over and had lunch.

Highlights of the day was a couple fly fisher-persons.  As I watched them cast, it was clear the woman knew her stuff.  She could work that fly rod like the best of them.  Easy on the eyes. too.  The guy gave up fishing about 1/2 way into the float .  Never did see them land any fish but her casting was poetry in motion.

Also had a "Parking lot Ernie and George Oh My Moment" but we'll leave the details of that for the river.  Kayaks are stealthy!

#2 Aug-10-23 5:27AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Grass Grass and more grass

Nice day to be on the river for sure.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Aug-10-23 11:19AM

Ernie
Administrator

hookup wrote:

Couldn't ask for a better day as far as weather goes.

It was a nice day to be out for sure...

hookup wrote:

Never did see them land any fish but her casting was poetry in motion.

When I fly fish, we talk about this.  Pretty casts are just that unless you are Bob Abrahms (icepeep). Most people do too many false casts. For smallie fishing it's all about having the fly get a reaction.

hookup wrote:

Also had a "Parking lot Ernie and George Oh My Moment" but we'll leave the details of that for the river.  Kayaks are stealthy!

hmm

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Aug-11-23 6:16AM

Oubassman
Northern Snakehead

At least you were fishing and not working. But retirement makes that a little easier 😁

#5 Aug-11-23 10:25AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Oubassman wrote:

retirement makes that a little easier 😁

Yup - it sure does

Board footer