Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-24-23 9:34AM

Oubassman
Northern Snakehead

Rainy day topwatee FUN

Call it a bad taste in my mouth from Monday's float with missing a number of fish on the fluke or the fact that I didn't feel like working, but I took Wednesday off.  I knew it would be raining on and off and cloudy and a good day to make a dedicatedly effort fishing topwater.  I want to make that another confident and fun way of fishing and know I need to make a dedicated effort and not change it out after 10 minutes.

I got to the area and tied on a Berkeley Choppo on one rod, along with a fluke on another rod for my top water lures.  I got a few swipes on the fluke right away but they missed it.  Started working my way upstream and also started getting some hits on the choppo using a jerk and pause retrieve to spray water in the air.  Fluke was still getting hits as well as long as the rain wasn't coming down too hard.

Fish were holding both in the bunch of push water areas and in the eddies below the fast water.  Often I was getting multiple hits in the same area and catching smallies 12-14", which was an absolute blast on the top water.  They were just smacking the choppo with the cloudy and rainy conditions.

From 10;30-4 I ended up with 21 smalles landed, with another 15 easily that either completely missed the choppo or fluke or I just didn't keep hooked.  16 of those were on the fluke or choppo, with rest on craw, crank bait and swim bait. Got a 15 on the crank.

Highlight was coming up to an area next to the shore where water was less than a foot deep. Cast the choppo and gave it a couple of jerks and one blew up on it.  Managed to wait to feel the weight and then set the hook on this chunk of a smallmouth.  17" that put up a great fight.
https://images2.imgbox.com/bf/b5/HLkmsqp8_o.jpg

Days like this help give you the confidence to throw lures you aren't comfortable with. It was the same way with the crankbait last year, now I will always throw it.  And now the pure topwater like a choppo or buzzbait or prop bait will be thrown confidently if the conditions are right

#2 Jun-24-23 10:45AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Rainy day topwatee FUN

Kudos on working the choppo and scoring. Catching is fun!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jun-24-23 12:43PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Great job getting your topwater confidence up and having a good numbers day to boot. 

One way I have luck sometimes is cast to your target area or let it float into it and then pop the rod pretty hard, but don't really move the bait.  It makes a racket with the prop, but then you kill it.  They will smash it if they are there and hungry.  If not, cast somewhere else or swim back steady.  Another is to make long casts over swift shallow water and swim it back.  They will smash it and surprise the hell out of you sometimes.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#4 Jun-25-23 2:41PM

Oubassman
Northern Snakehead

drxfish wrote:

Great job getting your topwater confidence up and having a good numbers day to boot. 

One way I have luck sometimes is cast to your target area or let it float into it and then pop the rod pretty hard, but don't really move the bait.  It makes a racket with the prop, but then you kill it.  They will smash it if they are there and hungry.  If not, cast somewhere else or swim back steady.  Another is to make long casts over swift shallow water and swim it back.  They will smash it and surprise the hell out of you sometimes.

Thanks for the advice. My few other attempts were more swimming and only had a few hits.  On Mondays float, my buddy had the luck with his Plopper pulling it and stopping so the prop made a racket.

#5 Jun-25-23 2:55PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Great day.  23 landed is a fun day.

Sometimes the misses are the most memorable.  They come back and haunt you.

Board footer