Administrator

Will never forget...

https://i.imgur.com/2YZtTMN.jpg

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Sep-11-22 7:26AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Will never forget...

I was walking through the lobby of a hotel I worked at in DC when I saw that on the TV monitor.  What a crazy day!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Sep-11-22 8:14AM

Ernie
Administrator

My fear is that people will "forget".

We were in a meeting at USPS HQ when someone saw the Pentagon get hit just across the river. Huge mushroom cloud!

https://i.imgur.com/FmuY0YB.jpg

#4 Sep-11-22 9:33AM

Ernie
Administrator

There were 2977 victims of mass murder on 9/11.

When we hear of deaths in the thousands, it can become easy to look at them as numbers, even though we all know that each of those victims had complex lives, family and loved ones they left behind, hopes and dreams.

Each one has their own story.

I'd like to tell you the story of John W. Perry.

When John was born, he had a severe learning disability. In fact, he was at least 9 before he could tie his shoes or read. But he discovered a passion for learning, and helping others, that would last his entire life.

John learned French, Russian, Spanish and Swedish in addition to English, and eventually graduated from NYU School of Law.

As an attorney, John specialized in helping immigrants and asylum-seekers navigate through our ridiculous immigration system so that they could remain here.
An active member of the Libertarian Party of Queens and a board member of the New York Civil Liberties Union, John had a passion for fighting for the rights and freedoms of others.

Then John did something no one expected.

He became a police officer, and took on a job investigating police abuses and corruption in NYPD.

In addition to that, John volunteered as an investigator with the Kings County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, where he became an advocate for adoptee rights.

It shouldn't come as a surprise at this point that John was astoundingly generous.

He gave out copies of Human Action by Ludwig von Mises, as well as shirts with the constitution and bill of rights on them.
When a friend called him in the hope that a cop could help him with his $1700 in parking tickets, John said he'd handle it. Later, the friend discovered that John just paid them all himself.

John once befriended a homeless man, who he invited to move into his apartment so he was off the streets and in a home.
I am just scratching the surface of John's life.

He ran in three marathons and took part in a swim around Manhattan.

He was an extra in TV shows and movies, from Woody Allen to Die Hard III.

He was in the New York State Guard.

He was an active advocate against the war on drugs.

And then, 21 years ago today, John made a sacrifice that would be surprising, if it were made by anyone but him.

On September 11th, 2001, John went to 1 Police Plaza to turn in his badge and finalize his retirement from the force so he could practice law as an advocate for immigrants full-time.
He simply had to sign the papers, walk out, and continue on with his incredible life.
Then the first plane hit one of the Twin Towers.

John took his badge back, bought a NYPD shirt, put it on and ran to the Towers to help evacuate people.

When he got there, he began ushering people to safety, directing them away from the main plaza where debris would likely kill them.

An older lady fainted, and John rushed to help her. They were moving slowly, but John refused to desert her.
And then the Tower collapsed.

That was the last time anyone saw him.

John's final moments were spent doing what he had done his entire life: being a libertarian, in both word and deed. Defending the lives, rights and property of others.
Being a hero.

John is just one of the 2977 people who died on this tragic day, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have wanted to be portrayed as more deserving of attention than any other.
After all, he spent his life in service to, and protection of, everyone he came into contact with.

On this day, let's remember John, as we remember each of the 2977 people who lost their lives.

Thank you, John.

I wish you were still here.

- Spike Cohen

#5 Sep-11-22 12:16PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Amazing story and human.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

Board footer