Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-06-22 6:37AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

If it works ...

Got a call to fish Labor Day with a buddy from KBF.  Since thunderstorms were in the forecast early afternoon we met at o'dark thirty

Started the float with some drizzle but stopped soon.  Drizzled off and on all day.  When the rain came, the fish got active.  Rain stopped, fish stopped biting.

Stuck to a fluke most of the day and had some fantastic blow ups but no luck hooking the big ones.  I got a nasty wind knot in the braid so switched spools.  Mono.  I blame the lack of hooking the big ones on the mono.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Fish were actively hunting.  Buddy hooked one and it easily cleared 3' of water.  It was awesome.

Towards the end of the day went with a silicone/bucktail jig with a craw trailer and started hooking up deep.  Lot's of dinks and tail biters which shows the health of the river

Buddy ended up with the biggest fish of the day

https://i.imgur.com/47cNf7S.jpg

And we both had nice action on the fat averages all day long

https://i.imgur.com/onpyeQU.jpg

Glad to see the rain on the way home.  Rivers need water bad!

#2 Sep-06-22 10:23AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: If it works ...

Nice outing. But I bet no fun on the rapids, or should I say rock beds.

They forecasted way more rain than we got.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Sep-06-22 12:06PM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

But I bet no fun on the rapids, or should I say rock beds.

Lost an anchor in one of the rapids.  Water was moving pretty good.  Tried to paddle above the anchor but the current was to strong.  Then when I reeled in the anchor line to about a couple feet the kayak almost turtled.  Cut the line only to bang off the rock hard behind me again almost turtling the kayak.  Good thing my leg was out to offset the flip. 

Was going to go buy & build another anchor system, but luckily had a 3# barbell and 100' of 1/4" rope in stock.

Couple of the rapids were rock beds.  Fun stuff drawing a kayak through LOL

Pray for rain!

#4 Sep-06-22 12:07PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

Board footer