Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-21-16 7:17AM

CrankbaitGuy

Fletcher's reacquaintance

I've only fished Fletcher's once and that quite literally was 30 years ago.  My dad and I rented a boat during the white perch run and got spun around silly without even a hint of fish. 

I want to go back and try it again, but I understand that Fletcher's often runs out of rental boats.  I've paddled up that way in my "real" touring kayak, but I don't like fishing from that boat.  Is the water is a bit fast for my sit on top fishing kayak?  It's a tiny boat, a Malibu Mini-X (9'8") that I've taken out under the Bay Bridge, but I have bad memories of that stretch of the Potomac.  But they're old memories.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks!

#2 Feb-21-16 8:51AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Fletcher's reacquaintance

Personally, I would not do a yak at Fletcher's but many people do it. The cove itself is not fast, but once you get out past the 1st couple of seams, it gets fast. Also, water level and tide will dictate conditions. I see yak guys out there all the time. But I would say most have a bigger yak.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, the morning row boat rush is furious but I bet you can get one in the pm.

Mike Bailey will be speaking at PRSC on April 5, this would be a good discussion to have.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Feb-27-16 7:36AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Late response to this post.  Tyler and I fished Fletcher's in our 10' Wilderness Systems kayaks a few years ago.  It is a deceptive place.  Generally it doesn't look that fast but there is a LOT of water moving through there and it is deep.  I stupidly tried to anchor in 50 ft of water.  When I tried to retrieve the anchor it got stuck.  Trying to get it un-stuck was very difficult and I came within about 1/2 inch of dumping because of the current (got sideways to the current with the anchor line tight at mid-boat).  Suggestions:  #1  wear a life vest!!  #2 the tunnel is very low, don't expect to put your kayak on top of your vehicle #3 it is a beautiful place and good fishing.

#4 Feb-27-16 8:18AM

Ernie
Administrator

#4- rent a row boat or fish from the shore

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Feb-29-16 7:24AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

#4- rent a row boat or fish from the shore

Lol, good one!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#6 Mar-05-16 7:30PM

CrankbaitGuy

Thanks everyone!  I'll save the kayak for the shad run on the Occoquan and get in line for the row boat if I'm going to Fletcher's.

#7 Mar-16-16 12:00AM

gonefishing

They let you put up to an 8HP motor on those rental boats. (at least they used to). Before I owned a boat, we used to take our own motor and it worked out great. Anything above a 4hp motor moves those rental boats well. Try and find an old 2 stroke evinrude / johnson, they are cheap and run forever.

Your best / cheapest anchor will be a concrete block with an eye bolt in it. Less likely to get snagged and not a big loss if you do.

Board footer