Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-06-14 3:14PM

CrankbaitGuy

7-2-2014 Bull Run

I finally took delivery of a proper sit-on top fishing kayak this past week so my 15' monster sea kayak can be used for just touring around.  I decided to break in the new boat in and my recently purchased gate key at Bull Run Marina during a day off.  I waited out the thunderstorms and joined the Westfields HS crew team on the water at around 6PM.

I mostly threw a drop-shot around against the deeper banks on the PW County side, but didn't get any bites.  I finally caught a small 8" LMB in the middle of the stream around what looked to be a fish attractor placed there by a landowner.  The river is silting up around this thing, I felt a tad silly throwing a drop-shot in 14" of water, but it worked.

There were some very loud fish jumps.  This is something I've noticed in some twenty five years of occasionally fishing Bull Run.  I'm guessing the lack of water depth causes the fish to jump after prey a lot, but don't know if it's louder because it's so shallow, the bass are just big, or I just happen to go when the big carp are breeding.

#2 Jul-06-14 3:19PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 7-2-2014 Bull Run

Congrats on the new boat....

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jul-07-14 4:49AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

First fish on your new kayak, way to go! What kayak did you get?

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#4 Jul-07-14 6:27AM

HoleyRockofTX
Website

congratz!!!

#5 Jul-13-14 9:31PM

CrankbaitGuy

I got a Malibu Mini-X with the pre-installed rod holders.  I'm short, don't have great upper body strength, so I wanted something short and light.

Board footer