Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-13-14 8:10AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Delaware Fishing 5/9-5/12

5/9

GF and I got into Cape Henlopen around 10pm on Friday and set up camp. Around 11 (I think) I headed to the pier to jig for some flounder. I ran into Jimmy out near the end and he already had a nice flounder on the planks but not much else was happening. That would be the only fish I saw out there that night, though I didn't stay long. The tide was just starting to pick up (and probably the bite) but I got an itch to chase some stripers so I left.

5/10

Got to IRI sometime after 2am, and the parking was as empty as I've ever seen it on a Friday night in May. That was both pleasing and concerning at the same time. I threw swimshads  on the North Jetty until the sun started peeking out, and never had a bite or saw any fish caught. The few other anglers I talked to had the same results. Apparently the fish just haven't shown up in any numbers yet.

I don't remember what time I got up on Saturday morning, but I think the first place I went was a small tidal creek. I had wanted to fish the canal but apparently everyone else did too...it was crowded with both shore and boat anglers. So I fished bucktails and strip baits in the creek for an hour or two of the outgoing tide, and had zero bites. Things were not going well so far.

I wanted to do some togging next, so I took some shrimp down to the inlet for the last of the outgoing and beginning of incoming tide. Fished for maybe 3 hours and caught a couple TBs and one keeper that just barely made the cut. Some shad were popping in the inlet and when I left there were a lot coming over the rail near the CG station. I didn't fish for them though.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/tog5-11-14.jpg

Last fishing excursion on Friday was a couple hours in the surf at CHSP. I soaked bunker and clams until sunset but only had a handful of skates. They were even angrier than usual, and were snapping at me like crazy tongue . It was a pleasant evening on the beach anyway.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/skate.jpg

5/11

Given the total lack of action for me at IRI the previous night, I decided I should get some sleep on Saturday night rather than go fishing. Tough decision but probably a good one. My gameplan on Sunday was to wade the flats. Hadn't done this in years and I was really looking forward to it. So I got suited up and was in the water at 10am, armed with some jigs and strips of butterfish I picked up at the grocery store.

Hadn't taken 10 steps when I spooked a flounder in shin-deep water, figured that was  good sign. I got my first fish after about 20 minutes, it was a keeper that took a Gulp mantis shrimp. Caught several short flounder and then picked up a small bluefish. I headed back to shore after that to cut up the blue for bait and put the flounder in the cooler.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/wadestringer.jpg

Went right back in the water after that, I was able to go out quite a ways since the tide was so low. I caught several more flounder, including 2 keepers. After the last one, the bite died abruptly, I went an hour with no bites and then headed in for lunch.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/wadingflounder.jpg

Last stop on Sunday was at a beach on the bay. I got set up and soaked clams, chicken, and bunker. Unfortunately I only got to fish a couple hours before the breeze died and the bugs became unbearable. Caught nothing but horseshoe crabs.

5/12

Got a little sleep, then woke up at 1:30am on Monday and went to the pier to have a look. The tide was low and the bottom was carpeted with horseshoe crabs, so I didn't stay. Headed on down to IRI for one last shot at the stripers.

Pretty much the same story as last time. I fished swim shads and plugs until just about sunrise, but the only action I had was when I snagged a couple bunker. So at least there's bait in the inlet! I'm thinking the stripers should show in good numbers by next weekend, they usually show just after I leave.

I went back to camp and slept for a couple hours, then got up around 8 to take one last shot at the flounder. The tide was way way up, the water was stained, and in 3 hours of wading I didn't have a bite.

I was out of time, so I packed up my stuff and headed home from there. Not a super weekend in terms of catching, but it was a great time anyway. I can't wait to get back.

tight lines

#2 May-13-14 2:03PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Delaware Fishing 5/9-5/12

A great report for sure......

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 May-13-14 6:33PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Wow what a trip! Sounds like you didn't sleep much tongue

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#4 May-14-14 5:32AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

firemunkee wrote:

Wow what a trip! Sounds like you didn't sleep much tongue

Sure didn't.

Fishing > Sleep

tight lines

#5 May-17-14 6:01AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Hard fishin' and looks like some good eatin'.  Sometimes you have to work harder...

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#6 May-22-14 1:55PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Nice Bryan. I always enjoy reading about your adventures! This may be a silly question, but I don't know the difference... how do you fish for Tog from shore? Cast out a short distance and let it sit? Jig across the bottom?

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#7 May-23-14 5:18AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

AbuMasgouf wrote:

Nice Bryan. I always enjoy reading about your adventures! This may be a silly question, but I don't know the difference... how do you fish for Tog from shore? Cast out a short distance and let it sit? Jig across the bottom?

Short cast from the rocks, and let the sinker hit bottom and keep it there. It is very rocky and snaggy at Indian River Inlet so when you hook a fish or want to re-bait you have to reel up fast or you'll get hung up. Most toggers there use big 9-10ft surf rods and 3-4oz sinkers. I like to use lighter gear though.

tight lines

#8 May-23-14 7:04AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Cool thanks!

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#9 May-27-14 9:26AM

Craig

Geez, you certainly crammed in plenty that weekend - sounds like my sort of trip (sans wife and kids)!

Board footer