Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-28-14 7:01AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Occoquan 4/27/14

Earlier in the week, I thought about the huge crowds that could have been on the river this weekend and it really discouraged me from wanting to get out there. On my way to drop off my boat at the marina to get some work done, I looked down at the river from I-95 and saw very few boats, so i was like screw it! LETS GO FISHING! With Bruces' advice in mind, I got my gear ready.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/andrewdo124/2014%20fishing/6ACD8EF4-3622-4E37-AA6A-1DFA0BD39ABA_zpseuuuzukf.jpg

Grabbed my yak and headed down to the Occoquan around 9AM. I was on the water by 10AM and wanted to try my luck for some bass before going for the "guaranteed" shad.  I headed down to the 95 bridge and fished there for a bit. I jigged and threw some plastics but nothing was biting. I saw a bunch of fish on my graph but they weren't interested in what i had to offer. I talked to another kayaker for a bit and he wasn't having much luck targeting crappie.

Under the bridge, i wasn't getting the warmth of the sun and it was windy....so I decided to head upstream to warm up. I'd never gone upstream from the launch before but it was a beautiful peddle up. Beautiful homes and gardens and lots of people out. It felt great being out on the kayak again. I forgot how relaxing it is.

Anyways, back to fishing.  While i peddled up, i decided to troll a swimbait and was rewarded quickly with a big kitty. I hooked on to this 15lber a few yards north of the 95 Bridge. It took drag pretty hard and I knew it was a catfish instantly by the way it was pulling. It might actually be the biggest catfish I've ever caught. I know there are bigger, but I never target them.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/andrewdo124/2014%20fishing/6DD2C9DA-74A2-47CF-ABCD-43C7C9667884_zpsvibm7y64.jpg

it looks small in the picture...but that thing was a brute.

Released him and I was off for some shad.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/andrewdo124/2014%20fishing/17482D62-97A3-4A04-85DB-82BEE21FB359_zpsbkclvo4k.jpg

I saw this but damn! I just bought my house....haha. wasn't meant to be.

I've never really fished for shad before. All I had were fragments of advice from my friend Simon and the stuff Bruce gave me. I thought my rigs were set up properly but I was getting my butt kicked out there. There were about a 6-12 boats coming and going in that stretch between the waterfall and the 123 bridge the whole time i was there. I was anchored up in the middle of the pack. Everyone around me was catching shad....but not me.

haha. I tried different color darts and spoons but nothing for the longest time. I went to a chartruese dart with a green tip with a white dart with a red tip and finally got a bit! My first shad ever! woohoo

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/andrewdo124/2014%20fishing/8F0B88F4-9E25-4A44-A9EA-799BD813BAA7_zpsynteoxyb.jpg

I stuck with it for awhile but it was really discouraging watching everyone else around me absolutely crushing the shad. I watched this father/daughter fishing and noticed that the distance between his two darts was much shorter than mine.  I didn't think it mattered when i put the rig together but seeing all the luck they were having, i decided to adjust. I shortened the distance from 24"ish to 12-16" and wow.....chart/red tip dart ->12" line ->chart/green tip was the ticket. I started hammering them. The retrieve was also important! I slowed it down to the speed at which I'd work a road runner. I noticed I was getting a lot of strikes but not a lot of hookups so the bass angler in me told me to slow it down.

I continued to have lots of luck and eventually, hunger made me call it a day. All the BBQ smells from the park didn't help.

I saw a father with his two sons on a bass tracker trying to catch shad but they were using grubs....it was hard watching them struggle so i peddled over and offered my rigs and lures but the father decided it was time to move on to catfish.

All in all a great day! Beautiful weather and I got to wet a line to respark my fishing fire. I'm definitely going to fish the shad every year. The fight, the acrobatics, the consistent bite. Very addictive!

Andrew

#2 Apr-28-14 7:18AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Occoquan 4/27/14

Way to go Andrew....glad to see you back out there!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Apr-28-14 9:28AM

mjuarez

Way to go..

Live to fish. Forced to work.

#4 Apr-29-14 1:59AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Andrew,
Glad you had success. Shad fishing can be addictive...too bad it only lasts for a few weeks each year. I fished for them under the Chain Bridge on Sunday. Caught about a dozen Hickories in 3 hours...fish were smaller and not as hungry as the Occoquan shad. Water was very fast, but not too muddy. It was sad to see the illegal netting that was going on where Pimmit Run enters the Potomac. People were filling garbage bags and backpacks with shad. Where are the enforcement guys when you need them?
Bruce

Last edited by Bruce (Apr-29-14 2:04AM)

#5 Apr-29-14 2:39AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Well done! Can shad be caught from shore at Occoquan?

Last time I was at Chain Bridge I saw a bunch of dead shad on shore...

Last edited by firemunkee (Apr-29-14 2:40AM)

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#6 Apr-29-14 4:55AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Bruce, there's a number you can call i think....not sure if they'd come out right away (or ever) but you can report those things. I know someone on here has to have the number..

Firemunkee, there were quite a bit of people fishing from shore. I don't know how they got to that shore but its definitely possible. I'm sorry I can't offer more than that. haha. this was my first time fishing that stretch.

#7 Apr-29-14 6:42AM

Craig

Nice report - looks like a fun morning

#8 Apr-29-14 7:50AM

BillyBigMouth
Northern Snakehead

Went to the Occoquan yesterday after work for 2 hours.  I was fishing from shore sad 

Shad were jumping all over the place but I did not get any hits.  I was probably doing it wrong - have never tried to target shad smile  I threw a few small spinners and a few minnow imitations like a Mepps Comet but not a thing.  Maybe I need to invest in a few of these shad darts.

#9 Apr-29-14 7:52AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Definitely invest in a few of different colors! they're not expensive and its amazing how effective they are.

#10 Apr-29-14 9:06AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks for the info, Andrew.

#11 Apr-29-14 10:17AM

BillyBigMouth
Northern Snakehead

FireMunkee... was that you there last night that I was talking to?

#12 Apr-29-14 5:37PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Nope. Maybe next time? Haha

#13 Apr-30-14 6:19AM

BillyBigMouth
Northern Snakehead

Haha oops.  Sounds good!

#14 May-01-14 4:56PM