Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-27-14 6:58AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

One Fish, Two Fish, Redfish, But no Bluefish!

One Fish, Two Fish, Redfish, But no Bluefish!

Since I haven’t written a report for a while I deiced to write the novel below smile

Cliff notes:
Rudee
White gulp on white jigs (1/4 and 1/2 oz)
Raw shrimp!
2014 Redfish Goal achieved!

Went to VA Beach with a good friend, April 25-26, hoping to land some Redfish and possibly Tog if the winds cooperated. Redfish is my main 2014 goal and I really wanted to make that happen.

4/25

We reached Rudee around 2:30pm on Friday and got on the water around 3pm. We headed to the grass lines hoping to find the Reds. The winds were strong on Friday with the coming evening storm and it was tough to stay positioned. I left my anchor in the car and regretted it dearly. I was using raw shrimp on an 1/8 oz jig and then switched to a ¼ oz to try to feel the bottom. We didn’t have any bites and decided to go in the shallow channel thinking the fish might do the same to avoid the winds. On the way there I met a friendly yaker named T who had just limited out on Reds from the grass line we were trying. White gulp was the ticket, he said, and with the winds anchoring really helped him out. He had luck with a ½ oz white jig head. I didn’t bring any ½ oz with me thinking that it would be overkill for Rudee. But with the winds it was a little harder feeling the bottom with the ¼ oz I had. He kindly gave me one of his ½ oz jig and I went back to the ramp to get my anchor from the car.

Armed with new info and my anchor, I headed over to the grass lines again to try my luck. Of course mother nature had a different plan and the winds picked up considerably more. I never thought I’d see 1.5 ft wakes at Rudee but sure enough it got messy quick. My friend was able to get hooked up and landed a 21.75” and it was a nice one! But that was it for the day. With no bites after trying the shoreline for another hour, I decided to troll the shallow creek with paddle tails and a 1/8 oz jig. Three quarters of the way in, my rod starts to dance and to my disappointment I had a 14” striped bass. Well I guess I didn’t skunk! smile

We started to hear thunder sporadically and then became a little more consistent. Since lightning may have soon followed we decided to get off the water much to the disappointment to my headlamp and light rod. Night fishing was going to have to wait for another time…

The good luck of the day came with dinner. We found a nice little mom/pop restaurant named Cilantro Bangladeshi Bistro. I’ve never had Bengali food but do have a taste for Indian food, so we decided to try it and it was a great find! Not your typical run of the mill Indian food. This place had thought and passion for cooking and others seemed to agree with 4.5 stars from 75 reviews on Yelp. This will be my go to spot every time I go to VA Beach!

4/26

The winds were stronger Saturday than the day before, so Togging at CBBT was out. We decided to head back to Rudee around 7am. When we got on the water the local HOW chapter apparently had an event going on. 30+ Yakers were out that day. With that many people I was a little worried for my Redfish Goal.

Knowing that white gulp seemed to be the ticket the day before, I started off going opposite to where all the kayakers were headed. I found another shoreline where a single kayaker was hooking up. I anchored up down stream from him and after about 20 minutes he start to head out. We greeted and he asked if the limit was 2 or 3 for Reds. I told him 3 and he said well that’s good, I’m done for the day. He tells me White gulp on a ¼ oz white jig head was the ticket and points to where I should anchor up. I of course follow his advice but it seemed yet again that the bite stops as I get into position.

After working the grass line for about an hour, I decided to try to increase my chances and cast out raw shrimp on the side and let it soak as I continued to work the shoreline. 20 minutes later the dead stick starts to dance, and the raw shrimp produced my first keeper Red from a kayak at 20.75”!

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Fishing/P4261528_zps9f854738.jpg

Not sure if it was dumb luck or shrimp was the ticket, I decided to soak another shrimp in the same location. Another 30 minutes and I get another Red with the shrimp! A nice 21.75”

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Fishing/P4261530_zps8359b675.jpg

So it seems that Shrimp was working so I abandon working the shore and put shrimp on both rods to soak. In the next hour I had 2 hookups and both spit the hook 1 ft from the boat. I decided to move and started reeling in my shrimp slowly to avoid it coming apart. All of a sudden, fish on! This fish pulled so much drag and I fought it through a couple of long runs and all of a sudden it came off  and I let out a loud frustrated yell (sans profanity). It was soo close! Unabated, I soaked two more shrimp and waited for a long time as low tide had set it. I closed my eyes a bit and dozed off for a couple of minutes only to be awaken by screaming drag and I mean SCREAMING! This one felt stronger than the one I lost and my heart was pounding not to loose it again. I kept as much pressure as I could by keeping the rod tip up and not letting it drop. After about 4-5 loong runs I managed to land it at a new personal best of 24.75”! I can now go home I thought! big_smile

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Fishing/P4261537_zps19293831.jpg

I set out to catch one Redfish to achieve my main 2014 goal and I limited out. Needless to say I was ecstatic!  Thinking about the Dr. Seuss’s title I smiled and decided to see if I could complete the line with a bluefish. I put on two crank baits and trolled the inlet to the bridge and back. Alas it wasn’t meant to be.

The moral of my story… always bring raw shrimp!

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Fishing/P4261538_zps50c6a184.jpg

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#2 Apr-27-14 8:16AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: One Fish, Two Fish, Redfish, But no Bluefish!

Something is missing....the finished Masgouf product!

Great report!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Apr-27-14 10:49AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Pacemaker wrote:

Something is missing....the finished Masgouf product!

Great report!

LOL! Coming soon!

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#4 Apr-27-14 6:24PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

And here are the Masgouf from tonight's dinner!

Interesting note, in the top right of the first two pics is a lure I found in the belly of the smallest of the three. Guess pink (tipped with shrimp) was a hot color earlier but the fish got off! Fate was to bring us together tongue

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/P4271541_zpsa797b59c.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/P4271542_zpsab6912c4.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/P4271548_zps118c15bd.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/P4271555_zpsa25ed231.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/P4271547_zpsc7d4199a.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/P4271551_zps66a6c11e.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/P4271556_zps400b4043.jpg

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#5 Apr-28-14 2:46AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Now that's what I'm talking about! Way to go Mustafa!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#6 Apr-28-14 4:25AM

Ernie
Administrator

So the finish is to put the fish right on the fire? Looks very yummy!

Time to go fishin' again!

#7 Apr-28-14 4:45AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Great report!  I always fish with shrimp, so I'm glad to see it worked in your favor.  The smaller reds are good to eat too.  Congrats on such a successful outing.  I'll keep that restaurant in mind too!

#8 Apr-28-14 5:24AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Congrats on the reds, those are some nice fish!

I was down that way over the weekend but didn't get to fish sad . I couldn't believe how many cars were in the lot when I drove past the boat ramp on Saturday.

tight lines

#9 Apr-28-14 7:10AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Thanks gents!

Yup the finish is to put it right on the fire which is why you need to keep the scales on. Oh man the aroma that comes off when it is on the coals... MMMMMMmmmm

Bryan, yeah there were so many cars most of them had to park in the trailer parking! Since it was HOW I think the cops gave us a break

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#10 Apr-28-14 9:24AM

mjuarez

Way to go Bro..... can't wait to try Masgouf in Florida.

Live to fish. Forced to work.

#11 Apr-28-14 11:03AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

mjuarez wrote:

Way to go Bro..... can't wait to try Masgouf in Florida.

And you'll have lots of Reds to do it on! So jealous! smile

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#12 Apr-29-14 6:40AM

Craig

Hell yeah - great report and pics!

#13 Apr-29-14 7:43AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Craig wrote:

Hell yeah - great report and pics!

LOL! Thanks bro!

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

Board footer