Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-25-07 6:04PM

Ernie
Administrator

It takes time and patience to buy a new boat!

Today I received the news that I was expecting....the insurance will not cover the damage to my hull because they feel it was "wear and tear". The simple fact is that my hull, made by defunct Fiberform, was poorly constructed (POS) and we (those who fished with me) were lucky to be safe and sound. But that is all water under the bridge. It's time to look for a new ride!

I have been conferring with several friends who have been extremely helpful in my new search and I would like some more opinions.

Here are some facts:

1. I will not get the hull fixed ($4-5K)

2. I may buy a 2005 20' Maycraft CC w/150, 2 stroke Yammy, good electronics, T-Top etc. ($19K)

3. Since my 115 Suzuki 4 stroke is in great shape, I may buy a hull and I am leaning to a Carolina Skiff, 218 DLV. It's 21' and very wide. It's not a particularly good looking boat but it would be outstanding for skinny water (A+), Fly fishing (A), LTJ (A), trolling (B) and another method we might try. There are no frills on this boat (I would use my engine) but it would be fast (40+). ($12K)

4. Several friends are looking around for a possible solution, nothing solid yet.

http://www.carolinaskiff.com/index2.htm  - go to DLV and then to 218

So, I need your advice on the four items above as well as:

T-Top
Bimini Top
V-hull vs. modified V-hull (DLV)
2 stroke vs. 4 stroke

Here are some more facts:

1. I will have a boat by the time the stripers start running up at Fletcher's.
2. I will take no hostages when negotiating a price....I enjoy this almost as much as fishing
3. Your opinions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Ernie

http://www.carolinaskiff.com/index2.htm

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Jan-25-07 7:24PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: It takes time and patience to buy a new boat!

Curly,

Whatever I get will be named Pacemaker!

The Maycraft draws 18" not bad but the DLV only draws 8. Tons of room in that baby!

I keep going back and forth which is good.

I am sea trialing the DLV on the 31st at 3PM in Baltimore. I will be cold but I will check it out. I may go see the Maycraft this weekend.

Both are good boats and options. The money will be close.

I am sure something else will pop up in there somewhere.

And I do know hat Bomber is always ready to catch fish!

E

#3 Jan-25-07 8:31PM

jonroach13
Administrator

You should so get this boat......

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/immigration/truck-raft-3.jpg

#4 Jan-25-07 8:33PM

jonroach13
Administrator

Or this one....

http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/african/2000/1994_06.jpg

#5 Jan-25-07 8:34PM

jonroach13
Administrator

man, i am the best poster on here....

http://home.austin.rr.com/bmw540i/images/retard%20bus.jpg

#6 Jan-26-07 2:29PM

jonroach13
Administrator

Curly,

There are multiple ways to post pics...

1. Link directly to the site. For example... if you wanted to post the picture located at http://www.3d-screensaver-downloads.com … r/big1.jpg

you would type [img][/img] with the website in between those two tags. Like this: [imghttp://www.3d-screensaver-downloads.com … r/big1.jpg[/img]   (i shortened the url so it wouldnt display the pic).

2. you can post pics for free at http://imageshack.us/, then copy and paste the url that it makes for your picture and put them between the [img][/img] tags

Let me know if you need any more help with it!

http://www.3d-screensaver-downloads.com/images/free-fish-screensaver/big1.jpg

#7 Jan-28-07 3:40PM

Ernie
Administrator

UPDATE!!

Spent some time (dry) looking at the '05 , 20' May-Craft today.....excellent boat.

- 150 2 stroke yammy
- leaning post w/live well
- ttop w/ rocket launchers
- excellent electronics w/ NA chip on GPS
- book says it draws 12" but we agreed it's more like 18" because added weight
- tandem trailer
- 77 gal gas tank

The boat is clean and has low hours (110). I also know the owner and he is meticulous about his boats.

I knew I would like it and it's head over heels above the DLV.

Every day, we get closer!

Ernie

#8 Jan-28-07 3:56PM

Ernie
Administrator

Check this out!

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thre … mp;posts=8

I could put my 115 on this and sell the 90!

Ernie

#9 Jan-31-07 5:36PM

Ernie
Administrator

I sea trialed the CS 218DLV today. We took it out for 1/2 hour up in the Middle River (Baltimore) and man....was it ever cold....it HURT the face! But....the boat rode smoother than what I expected and was very dry considering the wind and chop.

The DLV is a new hull design  (21 footer) that is modeled after the Boston Whaler. It's dry and it is surprisingly smooth. The normal flat bottomed CS boats will kill you in a light chop.

My style of fishing is perfect for this boat (T-Top too). This is a no nonsense fishing boat....no frills of any type but it will get in to 9" water as it only draws 8" and I can use my Suzuki 115 hp engine which is a 4 stroke. I will also be able to take many items off mine and put them on. The guys at D & S Marine are ready for me.

Fixing mine would be close to $5K and D & S said it could be as good as new but......

I know I won't get an ulcer thinking about this but it's a pain going through all the options. You can spend weeks going from place to place.

The decision will be made this weekend!

Stay tuned!

Ernie

#10 Feb-02-07 7:12PM

Ernie
Administrator

I have been posting all over to help me make a decision. Here are some of the responses I have received:

1. Go with the 218 dlv and don't look back.  I looked at the Maycraft as well as the Sea Hunt and a host of others.  If you like to fly fish, jig and get into skinny water, there is no better rig in the price range.  I have heard on other boards that the Maycrafts ride hard and it definitely won't be as stable or as wide. 

I just bought the 218 dlv with t-top and 115 Suzuki for fly fishing the ches bay and tidal rivers. I also spin fish and on rare occasions I troll although I will never admit it.  I had a Sea Hunt at one point.

2. Got one (DLV) and love it. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a boat in the range of 19 to 23. I fish the Chesapeake Bay area near Kent Island. I think you will like how it handles, and how close you can get to shore, very shallow draft. Again great boat, functional and well built like a tank. High speed in rough water, it will be a rough ride, but by laying off the throttle not a bad ride at all. I have a 115 Yamaha on mine and saw no need for a larger motor. On the GPS noted after trimming 42 MPH.....All I need to get where I am going and get me back. Good luck

3. I love the boat DLV), stable as a dock but it does pound in chop but I've never gotten wet. You can minimize the rough ride by throttling back to about 20-25 mph. I'd be happy to answer any questions but I can't recommend the owners group forum enough. Where are you looking - I’d avoid Ed's Marine in Ashland, VA if I had to do it over again, but other than that I wouldn't do anything differently. GET A T-TOP!!! I primarily bottom fish on tidal rivers, the Potomac and the James. I have a 115 Yamaha on mine - I get 42 mph by GPS at WOT - plenty fast. I guess if I were fly fishing the T-Top would get in the way, I like it to keep the electronics up out of the way, a place for rocket launchers, antennas and PFDs. I chose a CS due to the ease of maintenance - not a lot of shiny stuff to work about - very functional.

4. First, don't expect any boat to be perfect in every situation.  The Chesapeake is big water and should not be taken lightly.  This boat (DLV) will be fine on the good days and get you home on the good days turned snotty.  I would NEVER purposely go out on a bad day in any baot much less a skiff.  I have been in the bay when it is bad and you don't want any part of it on any boat.

The 115 Suzuki will push the boat between 42 and 44 mph most likely.  The reason I choose the Suzuki is that they have a full 6 year warranty, and their HP ratings are more accurate than Yamaha.  With the Suzuki 115 you will get a true 115 HP at the prop.  You won't get that with the Yamaha.  Both are good motors.

For trolling you can install flush rod holder in the rear deck for trolling or mount rod holders on the rails if you have them. 

5. Either boat will work for your general fishing. But since you know you'll end up at the CBBT sooner or later, buy for the worst possible conditions. I believe the Maycraft will provide a drier ride in the chop - it has a nice flair to the bow. Besides, you won't look as professional or sexy in the barge. To put some balance to my comments, you should know that I'm fond of Maycraft boats.

6. It's very stable and has alot of room, don't think you'll go wrong if you get one, only problem I could see would be getting slapped around on rough days.

7. May crafts are tough no frills fishing boats. You cant beat their toughness for the price.

8. Great boats for the money. No fluff fishing boats. Tons of commericial waterman use them in our area (NC) because they are built tough.

Getting close!

Ernie

#11 Feb-05-07 6:35PM

Ernie
Administrator

I have slowed everything down (very unlike me) so I can get a clear picture of this situation. The DLV will be put on hold as there are too many things I don't like about it which are bothering me. If someone were to make me an incredible offer, I might take it.

I am going to take a long ride on the Maycraft but that will have to wait until we get a break form the ice (10 days). The boat show in DC is coming up and I will see what's out there.

My 1st fishing trip is not until April 9 so I will be patient and not act in haste (this is the advice that I have received the most).

Ernie

#12 Feb-11-07 5:13AM

Ernie
Administrator

There is another player in the mix!

Through a good friend of mine who lives in Pittsburgh, I have found a 2000 Hydra Sports 212 with a 150 Ocean Pro engine. The boat is in St. Marys WV....just 5 hours away!

This boat is in brand new condition and the engine only has 125 hours....that is nothing!

Road trip anyone?

Ernie

#13 Feb-11-07 12:50PM

Ernie
Administrator

Boat was used on tha Ohio River and on Lake Erie.  While it could go in the ocean....I don't know that I will but I will go to CBBT more often! The book says it only drafts 13" but I supect it will be more like 16" which is OK.

Boat is meticulous (have a witness).

I make take a road trip if some of the snow goes away out there.

Ernie

#14 Feb-17-07 6:06PM

Ernie
Administrator

Going to the boat show on Sunday to see what might be lurking out there!

Time to get a boat!

Ernie

#15 Feb-18-07 3:03PM

Ernie
Administrator

Carlos and I went to the Boat Show in DC for a few hours today....there were lots of great (and expensive) boats to see.  I really like the Sea Chaser which is built by Carolina Skiff. It's a compromise from the 218 DLV which I liked also. The Sea Chaser is 19.5' and looks very much like my boat. A nice but simple fishing machine and I can order just the hull so I can put my 115 Suzuki on it.

As soon as this ice goes away, I will sea trial it as well as the Maycraft. Those 2 are in the top. I am also looking at a 19' Pathfinder as well as the 20' Hydra Sports.

Ernie

#16 Feb-22-07 7:06PM

Ernie
Administrator

Moving on to Plan B, C, D & E.

Plan A, the MayCraft is off the market so here are the options:

Plan B- 21' Hydra Sports in WV- will need to take a road trip as it's 5 ours away!
Plan C- 19' Pathfinder owned by Capt.  Tony Harding- no need for test run as I have fished in this boat
Plan D- 19' Sea Chaser hull (will use my Suzuki) - taking test run Saturday
Plan E- 20' Sea Pro near Richmond- just started the talks

Ernie

#17 Mar-04-07 2:04PM

Ernie
Administrator

Heading out to WV to see the Hydra Sport (pray for no snow) on March 24. 

Ernie

#18 Mar-17-07 6:13PM

Ernie
Administrator

On December 15, Jim Rekas, John Casale and I were having an incredible fishing day at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. We had heard all kinds of stories and we decided to go and figure it out. And THAT we did! We caught 90 some stripers and we were worn out. But we were going back out the next day. Oh.....the next day. That’s the day that the Pacemaker died when the hull cracked and we (Curly mostly) had to bail water for a couple of hours to get back to the dock safely.

After taking it to the shop, the bad news came in that it would cost big $$ to fix the hull which had been poorly made.

All of that is behind me and next Saturday (3/24) I am headed to St. Mary's WV (other side of WV) to meet Jim Janes who is the owner of a 21' Hydra Sport CC.  I have been exchanging info with Jim for several weeks and I feel like I know him and his boat well. Our plan is to get on the water (pray for warm weather) and get a compression test done on the motor.

If all goes well, I cold be trailering it home that day which means I'll be ready to fish on March 30 which is the 1st available day on the schedule. We shall see but I can't wait until Saturday.

I know this. Stripers are already coming up the river. Big blue cats have been caught all around the WW bridge. The shad, herring and white perch must be getting close!

Ernie

#19 Mar-23-07 5:39PM

Ernie
Administrator

Off to WV I go!!

Tune in for......the rest of the story!

Ernie

#20 Mar-24-07 10:25PM

Ernie
Administrator

Back from WV with  the new ride!

See the "rest of the story"!

Ernie

Board footer