Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-03-13 4:17AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Rapala X-Rap

I know that many of you like the X-rap for top water smallies. For fishing the Upper Potomac, what size works best and what color do you prefer?
Thanks,
Bruce

#2 Aug-03-13 3:30PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Rapala X-Rap

I wouldn't call an X-rap a topwater lure, even the smallest ones run 2-3ft deep.  I like firetiger pattern crankbaits for the upper Potomac and Shenandoah. 

I'd suggest choosing the size based on how deep you want it to run. The floating minnows are more of a topwater lure.  I've got an old 3.5" version in a the original firetiger pattern.  I never throw it for smallies though.  For crankbaits I like using the Strike King Bitsy Minnow, Mann's Baby Minus1, and Bomber 2A.  The Bomber is the deepest running one I will throw for smallies, 2-4ft.

#3 Aug-03-13 4:04PM

Ernie
Administrator

Can't help much, I have a few but never use them (treble hooks). I agree with Travis, they are not really a top water bait.

I do know some smallie guys like them for colder water fishing.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Aug-03-13 5:05PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Xraps can be topwaters. The original X-Raps were jerkbaits but since then, Rapala has made them a series of baits.

There are X-Rap walking baits,
http://www.waveinn.com/images/products/fotos/rapala_50974_3.jpg

X-Rap prop baits,
http://www.rattletrapramblings.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/XrapProp.png

X-Rap poppers,
http://www.wired2fish.com/wp-content/uploads/migrated-assets/2011/07/XrapPop.png

#5 Aug-03-13 5:23PM

Ernie
Administrator

Dan- what would be the name for the original jerk bait?

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Aug-03-13 6:01PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

"X-Rap" smilesmilesmilesmilesmile

I know he only said "X-Rap", I just figured maybe he meant one of these others in the series or maybe others may not know they're out there. I can vouch for the popper, it works pretty well.

#7 Aug-04-13 3:00AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Dominion Dan wrote:

"X-Rap" smilesmilesmilesmilesmile

I know he only said "X-Rap", I just figured maybe he meant one of these others in the series or maybe others may not know they're out there. I can vouch for the popper, it works pretty well.

Dan,
I'm not sure what I meant. I've seen the x-rap mentioned in some on-line forums for smallies. I assumed they were describing top-water lures, but maybe not. If I had left out any mention of top-water, what X-rap would you recommend for smallies? Color and size?
Thanks,
Bruce

#8 Aug-05-13 8:44AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I have no confidence in xraps, but plenty in Lucky Craft

78 & 100's.

Anything chartreuse, with a bit of purple, or sparkly

#9 Aug-05-13 9:01AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Bruce, they are probably referring to the standard X-raps which are jerkbaits, similar to a smithwick rogue but with a more erratic action. They typically dive a few feet where they suspend. I am not a fan. I have always thought of them as more suited for deep water smallie situations like up north although I am sure they work in shallow rivers like we have as well.

Board footer