Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-27-13 10:05AM

BillyBigMouth
Northern Snakehead

Effect of a swivel

So, I am curious about everyones thoughts on the use of medal swivels to change lures efficiently.  I have a slight disability and my hands don't work as well so tying on lures is a bit of a struggle for me.  How much of a disadvantage am I putting myself in by using a swivel?  Would it be worth the extra time it would take me to tie?  Does it make that much of a difference?  I know there is no great way to quantify this so I am just seeing if people have thoughts on it!

#2 Jun-27-13 10:07AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Effect of a swivel

I don't like them generally....but you can get the quick snaps which don't have as much metal.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jun-27-13 10:34AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

I don't like them generally....but you can get the quick snaps which don't have as much metal.

+1

tight lines

#4 Jun-27-13 10:51AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

I've found that it really depends on the lure.  Tubes and jigs seem to do just a little better without a swivel.......not it catching, but in keeping less grass/algae off the lure.  Crankbaits and spinners do well with them, while spinnerbaits do not run as true with them.  If you are using spinning gear, a swivel limits line twists and does especially well with braid by limiting wind knots.

I really don't think the bass sees the swivel, or just does not care if he is feeding........Lots of folks throwing Alabama rigs with 6-12 lures hanging off of multiple 6-12" metal wires are doing very well.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#5 Jun-27-13 11:34AM

BillyBigMouth
Northern Snakehead

Very very good point with the Alabama Rig, Curly!

#6 Jun-27-13 12:53PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

The fish certainly don't mind my snap swivels, even on a tiny crankbait.  The only time I tie direct is to baited hooks.
I have experienced some snap swivel failures though, on both parts.  Catfish and bowfins have been the problem, not bass.

What I've got now is Eagle Claw dual locks attached to some good Tsunami and KVD Mustad swivels.

#7 Jun-27-13 4:11PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

I don't trust them. Its adding another thing that can possibly fail. I also think its more annoying to peel slime off of them than they are worth.

#8 Jun-28-13 5:16AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

.... this forum hates my work computer. I wrote a hugeee response but its gone

the skinny:  the have a time and place.  if the lure was designed to be used with one then i use it. the few seconds you save isn't worth the cons i think they have (effect on action, what the fish and I see, another part to fail). 

there are many knots out there and many tricks to tying knots easier.  maybe try a new knot? I don't know what your condition is but maybe that will help.

#9 Jul-01-13 7:03AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

For cranks & jerk baits, I remove the snap ring around the eye of the hook and use a duolock snap

#10 Aug-01-13 1:40AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

The best part of fishing is doing what works for me. Although we all fish, both in and out of that realm we are intensely different people. The most peculiar apparatus and approach can be effective. This is innovation.Convention is merely a springboard. Inspiration can be fleeting and tenuous.Hesitate not ...

#11 Aug-01-13 6:19AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

bigjeffie wrote:

The best part of fishing is doing what works for me. Although we all fish, both in and out of that realm we are intensely different people. The most peculiar apparatus and approach can be effective. This is innovation.Convention is merely a springboard. Inspiration can be fleeting and tenuous.Hesitate not ...

Wow man that was deep man...what if dog where spelled CAT man.

No really ...well said..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#12 Aug-01-13 6:38AM

Ernie
Administrator

I love it when Jeff gets to writing like that.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#13 Aug-01-13 9:06AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Pacemaker wrote:

I love it when Jeff gets to writing like that.....

Yeah, when you're old and getting fuzzy you can interpret it to mean anything you want

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

Board footer