Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-25-13 2:19PM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Algonkian 7/25

John Foley and I fished at Algonkian today from 6:30 to 11:30am. Water temp was 80 and the air temp was in the low 60's when we launched.

Again, there were tricos on the water from a morning hatch, but not as many as during our 7/9 outing. These flies seemed to bring out a good top water smallie bite up until about 8:30 when the sun broke through the clouds. Caught 20 myself on an old frog pattern Jitterbug lure, but all were 11" or less. John also got them early but I don't know how many. Then we used tubes and senkos and other plastics to catch about a dozen more between us. These were a little better quality, with most in the 11"-13" range. Could see the bottom in 2' of water so visibility wasn't too bad. Water was higher and faster than normal for this time of year.

No pictures this time as we didn't get any big fish...hopefully, next time.

Bruce

#2 Jul-25-13 3:32PM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Re: Algonkian 7/25

The morning was quite cool but Tricos were hatching and the little smallies were feasting. (little smallies?!?!) One of these days I'm gonna take a fly rod on the kayak during this time. Messed with little poppers and caught several but I'm stubborn Irish and was looking for a better grade of fish. I spent more time throwing tubes and twister tails underneath. Not much happening there until the sun got higher and the clouds dispersed. Managed a couple 11"s and my best for the morning was 12".

Great fishing with you again, Bruce! As of next week I go back to being a weekend warrior so will look forward to late season hook ups. Thanks again for lunch!  :-)

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

Board footer