Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-09-13 5:46PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Baitcasters

I've got a really cheap one that I've being using for a few years now.  But now the line guide has a tendency to stay to the left when reeling in unless I put a little pressure on it to the right.  So it's time to get something new.  I've been researching them.  Ideally I'd want to get one with a completely metal frame for long-lasting durability and is affordable, but they don't seem to exist.  Plenty of them say they have aluminum or alloy frames, yet only a portion of it actually is and the seat is not a part that is metal.

#2 Jul-09-13 6:51PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Baitcasters

I like Abu's...have S, SX, STX, Premier, Winch & Inshore. I like them all and bought 'em all used. I take them to Hill at R & R every 2 or 3 years and am always good to go.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jul-09-13 7:28PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

To me, it's all about the brake systems. The two main types of brakes are centrifugal and magnetic. Daiwas and Abus use magnetic for the most part and Shimano uses almost exclusively centrifugal. I prefer centrifugal. They are just easier for me to cast easily. I have used Revo STX, Revo Premier, Daiwa Fuego, Shimano Citica, Shimano Curado and Shimano Chronarch. I liked me Revo STX a lot but eventually the gearing crapped out on me, although it was my frog and jig rod so it got manhandled pretty good with big hooksets and lots of strain. I would try either type of brake system to see which one you feel most comfortable with. I'm sure plenty of the guys on here would let you cast their rigs around for a while if you fish with them. If I could ever get away from work I'd let you try both kinds that I have.

#4 Jul-09-13 7:28PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

i prefer Shimanos - Curados and Citica. They have been the most reliable for me. The Curado 200E7 is my favorite.

#5 Jul-10-13 4:28AM

mjuarez

I use Shimano Curados. Im pretty happy with them

Live to fish. Forced to work.

#6 Jul-10-13 5:10AM

Ernie
Administrator

Agree with Dan about trying them out.

Feel free to come over and do some throwing with the Abu's.

Strangely enough, I could never get used to throwing the Curados.

Time to go fishin' again!

#7 Jul-10-13 11:17AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Curado e series is my favorite, avoid the g series if you can. If you're not looking for something compact a round abu will last you a lifetime. Look for the C3 or C4 series in the 45xx, 46xx, 55xx, or 56xx. I prefer lefty's (01) because I grew up on spinning reels and I can't hold the rod with my left hand.

I have one of the older revo inshores but it has some issues with salt and with a soft kick lever. They reinforced the kick lever but the corrosion problem still exists. Best to break it down a couple times a season if you fish in the salt a lot.

#8 Jul-10-13 5:55PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

All the reels mentioned are like I described.  My Shakespeare has a magnetic system.  Works fine for me, I'm not picky though.  I mean use Zebco spincast reels on a regular basis so that ought to tell you something.  I just found a good deal on a Daiwa Lexa 300 on eBay so I'm going to give it a shot.  Lots of good reviews for it online.  High capacity reel and heavy drag.

#9 Jul-10-13 7:30PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

The Lexa is a beast!

#10 Jul-14-13 4:22PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

The Lexa was waiting at my front door when I got home yesterday.  $145 shipped, in just two days.  Tried it out today.  Great so far.

#11 Jul-16-13 6:43AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Glad you found something you like. FYI I just got an ABU Orra Inshore and it works very nice on my St Croix Glass rod. May get another I like it so much.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

Board footer