Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-27-08 12:21PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Gearing Up for SMB

Most of my experience with SMB has been in lakes that also have LMB and never really changed my approach to target them specifically. I have fished Lake Champlain for SMB but that was many years ago and my buddy had all the gear. I want to put together a tray of baits to take on the Upper Potomac in the next few days. That means I'll probably hit Dicks Sporting Goods and go with general available stuff since I won't have a chance to get an order from BP Shop or Cabellas or hit a specialty tackle store before then.

So what are your must haves for this fishing? I know I'll get some smaller tubes (I'm guessing 3 inch) than what I have for LMB and some grubs but what size / weight / color do you guys recommend? I have all the senkos, flukes, baby brush hogs, etc. and a bunch of top water stuff that I'll take. Any other must have lures that you guys carry?

Thanks for the info.

#2 Jun-27-08 12:51PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Gearing Up for SMB

The more I learn, the bigger the bait I am throwing! But not always as it depends on what is going on.

I would say that you should have the following:

- white buzzbait
- 3 & 4 inch senkos for texas and wacky rigging
- grubs on a jig (lots of white)
- Case flukes (5" and whiteish)
- small rattletraps
- spinner baits
- zoom lizzards

I am sure others will chime in!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jun-27-08 2:56PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

spinnerbaits and buzzbaits - white, black, and chartruese - for buzzers get the strike king mini pro buzz - spinnerbaits, booyah with a large main willowleaf and a small colorado blade.

flukes, white and minnow colors.  try the mann's hardnose brand - and also get some case when you have time to put in an order.

bandit crankbaits - 100 and 200 series - 4 of each color - but maybe just start with some white ones and some crawdad ones

tubes, grubs, lizards, worms, senkos, etc - get some browns and greens and whites

now you got your essentials, IMO

Thsi time of year, i start on top with a buzzbait.  then i'll go below the surface with flukes and spinnerbaits.

last, I'll slow it down and start draggin the bottom

don't think of smallmouth as largemouth little cousin, don't be afraid to go big.  I've had 6 " smallmouth try to eat 6" rapalas.  They aren't scared of big lures.  your LM tubes will probably work just fine.

good luck out there

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#4 Jun-30-08 3:00PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

what size Pop-R would you suggest

#5 Jun-30-08 4:26PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

redskinsfan360 wrote:

what size Pop-R would you suggest

any of them, I think they range from 2" to 3 1/8" which isnt that much of a difference.  I'd lean towards the biggest ones

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#6 Jul-05-08 10:21PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Paul, I know you are a soft jerkbait fanatic like me, so I will recommend those. I feel like I can manage to catch smallies on a brown fluke or Case SSS if nothing else will work. Jerk them or just let them drift with the current into breaks or down into holes.

I also have to add shaky heads. I've done well on almost any color. If I find the fish are deeper and not willing to come up to hit a jerkbait, I'll use a shaky head on the bottom. That's my 1-2 punch for smallies.

Board footer