Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-25-12 8:46PM

CrankbaitGuy

Carp!

Over the years I've occasionally caught carp in the C&O canal using very basic rigs with biscuit dough and cheese balls.  I got interested in trying European style carp tackle and prepared baits (presoaked corn, boilies, chum powder) but haven't had any luck with that on the C&O.  I've also seen fewer carp walking along the canal, probably due to all the holes due to flooding and the general dewatering of the canal since the 1990s.

So I'm asking if anyone has a recommendation of another place to go find good numbers of carp that will bite?  The Ashburn ones are big and don't eat much anymore.  Is Beaverdam Creek Reservoir good?  I occasionally see carp  in the Shenandoah and Bull Run, not in numbers, but I'm also concentrating on bass when there and might just miss them.  I have a kayak so I can paddle out.  Any help is appreciated.

Also am I wasting my time going out now, even in early morning?

#2 Jul-26-12 4:39AM

mjuarez

Re: Carp!

Someone at work mentioned that Lake Brittle in Fauquier has some huge monsters.

Live to fish. Forced to work.

#3 Jul-26-12 5:20AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

If you can see them but aren't catching any, try chumming with corn or breadballs, sometimes that will get them going. I think fishing in slower, deeper pools on rivers gives you the best chance of catching them, because the fish are more concentrated than they are in lakes.

tight lines

#4 Jul-26-12 9:21AM

kidnikarus
Northern Snakehead

Four mile run. They are everywhere. I have never targeted them but have caught several this year on marabou road runner spinners 1.5 inch fin s shads and foul hooked a few with in line spinners. they are big there.b

Nick Mendis
Woodbridge, VA

#5 Aug-03-12 6:12AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Don't laugh, but you would be amazed with the size and amount of carps bull run holds.  I would go there just to catch a few for fun (just hold on for the ride!).  They would be stacked in a small river system....give it a try!

#6 Aug-04-12 12:47PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

got this carp today.................
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb119/cokeempire/2012%20pics/8-4-12d.jpg

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#7 Aug-06-12 5:51AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Holy Carp!  I'm going fishing with you!  That must have been a heck of a ride.....hope you didn't hurt your back holding that sucker up.

#8 Aug-06-12 3:07PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Try your boilies and chum in the Tidal Basin. Every May tha Carp Anglers Group has a weekend fish-in at the basin. You should see all carp that they bring in.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#9 Aug-10-12 8:32PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

Don't laugh, but you would be amazed with the size and amount of carps bull run holds.  I would go there just to catch a few for fun (just hold on for the ride!).  They would be stacked in a small river system....give it a try!

How far is Bull Run from Ashburn? I'm looking for a spot that has huge common carp that is close to Ashburn. All the carp I have been catching at Beaverdam have been really small. It's almost like they are stunted.

#10 Feb-11-13 5:21PM

CrankbaitGuy

Apologies for the months old threadomancy, but maybe I get an exception as OP?

Question on Four Mile Run.   Where should I put in or fish from shore? I saw a few spots just off the trail at Mount Vernon Boulevard.  Seems like a long paddle from Gravelley Point?  Any details appreciated.  Thanks!

#11 Feb-11-13 7:23PM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

Pick a parking lot off of Rt. 1: east or west side.  East side is easier.  If you find the hole in the fence (if it is still there?), it helps in getting to the water faster as you do not have to cross Rt. 1 for water access.

#12 Feb-14-13 6:51AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Since you brought this back to life....I didn't realize I had a question.  So, Bull Run is very close to Rt 66 and Rt 28.  It's where they hold the festival of lights during X-mas.  I've had very good success in early spring getting nice size small mouth, some very large cats, etc.  The Carp I have caught were in the 10-12 lbs range, but you can clearly see larger ones in the water.  The stream is narrow with some deep areas, but you can mostly see them stacked up along fallen tree's etc.  The hard part is honestly landing them because of the difficulty with the steep banks.

Board footer