Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-18-08 5:40AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Goose Creek - 6/17/08

Aside from the occasional hiker, I had Goose Creek all to myself yesterday. In search of the elusive smallies, I rigged up what I thought to be a "sure thing lure"... a green pumpkin tube. I headed down and fished on the west side of the creek seeking out eddies and structure. I received some early bites on a buzzbait, but nothing hooked up. I decided to walk south, underneath the Riverview overpass. I sought out some more structure but this time located some minnows.

I threw the tube around a little bit and landed my first fish! It was not a smallie though, instead it was an incredible small largemouth. But this largemouth was honestly a mini-me version of a 5lber. It was well colored, had a huge belly, and was well proportioned. Thr problem is, it was only about 2 oz.

I started to see some more minnow action in the form of a single minnow scurrying for its life on the top of the water. I decided to get rid of the tube and tie on a weightloss Zoom Super Fluke. I also decided to throw the buzzbait. I threw the buzz bait ripping it across the current and with a bit of hesitation to have it create a splash on the surface. I got slammed! A large fish nailed it but came unbuttoned. I didn't get a great look at the fish, but I can pretend it was a smallie!

I decided to move back to where I started, but I needed to jump a 7ft creek created from the extra rain flow. Using every bit of athleticism I could muster, I managed to only get one foot partially wet. I started throwing the fluke to a variety of locations until I saw and heard a pretty good splash out ahead of me. I threw the fluke at the splash and on the second cast got bit. I set the hook and the fish jumped. I brought it in, but instead of a bronzeback, I landed a solid 2+ lb largemouth.

I threw some more, attempted to hike through the woods until the path was blocked, and instead called it a day. No smallies. 2 LMB. The hunt for the elusive smallie will continue.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#2 Jun-18-08 7:36AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Goose Creek - 6/17/08

Excellent....great place to fish!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer