Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-23-12 8:35AM

kidnikarus
Northern Snakehead

Kayak help - rigging and fish finder

I looking to install a couple of things on a kayak I bout a few weeks ago. Do you know any places in Northern Virginia to pick rigging gear up? I am looking to mount a fish finder and camera. and install a hatch and paddle clips. Possible down the road I also want to put in an anchor system - but want to get more familiar with currents and stability of the kayak. I would like to be able to go into a store and see the stuff in person to get a better idea of what I can do with the gear and instal possibilities. Any suggestions for stores that carry this stuff? I checked out EMS in arlington and they were pretty limited in what they had.

The other thing I was looking for is suggestions for a fish finder. I don't think i will have the time this summer to do a permanent transducer install.  Any thoughts about the ones with the suction cup mounts. I haven't read and bad reviews but it seems like everyone has a permanent mount. Just wondering if the suction cups tend to fail.

Thanks!

Nick Mendis
Woodbridge, VA

#2 Jul-23-12 10:38AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Kayak help - rigging and fish finder

You can order top of the line stuff from Hook 1 at kayakfishinggear.com and it comes fast!  I just rigged my whole yak with that site.  EMS is overpriced.   

As far as not having a transducer permanent check out the micro liberator.  It is a swing arm that has it going over the side.  Its on HOOK1.  I will have pictures up of mine tomorrow or wednesday.

#3 Jul-23-12 1:23PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Oh that electronic thing. It is not a fish finder it is a Lying Machine...

Here I was thinking a fish finder rig..

I got nutin to help you with..

Smile

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#4 Jul-23-12 3:00PM

mjuarez

I agree with redskinfan360. HOOk1 is the only place. Great selection and great service...

Live to fish. Forced to work.

#5 Jul-24-12 7:33AM

kidnikarus
Northern Snakehead

Thanks for all the input. One thing i wanted to do was attached a heavy duty magnet strip on the inside of the kayak that i can have pliers, knife etc attached (still on a leash of some sort) but that I can easily grab and have out of the way. Anyone know where i can find something like this. I checked at lowes and didn't see anything. Maybe a craft store like Micheal's?

Nick Mendis
Woodbridge, VA

#6 Jul-24-12 7:56AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

That magnet idea is a pretty good one.  I may do that too.  Below is an Amazon link to a product I have used around the house and it works well.  But you may need to glue it in place instead of relying on the adhesive on the back.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Magnetics- … netic+tape

#7 Jul-24-12 9:14AM

mjuarez

Nick , here is a easy solution that I will be putting on my new kayak this weekend.

http://kayakfishingblog.com/2008/05/custom-gear-holder/

Live to fish. Forced to work.

#8 Jul-24-12 4:35PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Nice option.  If you have access to the area you will be screwing the webbing into, I suggest using a bolt instead of relying on the screw in the plastic to hold.  I am just thinking out loud.

Board footer