Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-22-12 11:26AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Penrod Special Spinnerbait

I am trying to buy a couple of the Penrod Special Spinnerbaits (http://www.bigmouthlures.com/penrodspecial.htm) but can't find a place online or near Ashburn to buy them.  I called a couple places advertised by Ken Penrod on his site, but they had no idea what I was talking about and it wasn't available online.  Does anybody know the easiest way to get them?  Or, does anybody have any that they are willing to sell?

#2 May-22-12 11:52AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Penrod Special Spinnerbait

Do you really think they will catch fish?

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 May-22-12 1:43PM

dave
Northern Snakehead

Yes

#4 May-22-12 1:46PM

dave
Northern Snakehead

Have you tried

Bigmouthlures@comcast.net

#5 May-22-12 6:01PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Well....everyone always says that chartreuse catches smallies and I haven't seen many spinnerbaits with that coloring.  So, I thought I would give it a try on the Memorial Day float trip if I could get it in time.  It is also designed/endorsed/sold/marketed by Ken Penrod, who I know is trying to sell them, but I also know he knows a ton about fishing the Potomac.  So, it caught me, so I know it can catch something!

#6 May-22-12 7:16PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Buy the pieces and make your own.  Paint the blades yourself if necessary. 

I may do just that to see if it's productive.

#7 Jun-04-12 11:03AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

T. wrote:

Buy the pieces and make your own.

Yep.  Even I can do it.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/HookUpAngler/IMGP0143.jpg

#8 Jun-04-12 4:52PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

Wait...you're having trouble finding chartreuse spinnerbaits?  Really?

#9 Jun-05-12 6:14AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Nooo!  I wanted to try the color combination (it isn't just Chartreuse) and the colored blades.  I ended up getting a couple from a supplier and used the spinnerbait at Mattawoman on Memorial Day weekend and the Float Trip on the Potomac.  It caught fish.  But I don't think it is very high quality.  It got bent up pretty easily.

#10 Jun-05-12 6:30AM

dave
Northern Snakehead

Were they Bigmouth brand?  They are very thin wire spinnerbaits.

#11 Jun-05-12 6:37AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

GregF wrote:

It got bent up pretty easily.

Actually ...

For some, this is a must.  The thin wire shafts add more vibration to spinnerbaits.

I tend to buy War Eagles when I'm in the market for spinnerbait, but they are only good for about 10 smallies before the wire breaks - or one real good size smallie.

The spinnerbaits above were made for a bait exchange on another board.  The wire was thick & help up against northern pike & musky well.

#12 Jun-06-12 3:22AM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

What is the color combo you're looking for?  I've customized many a skirt using a sharpie.  I have them in the basic colors as well as a set that comes in more muted tones (gray, lavender, olive, etc.)  The scent will not last, and doesn't matter anyway.  I also like to use a little bit of my Spike-It markers (chartreuse and red) when necessary.  I have painted spinner blades black for night time spinnerbaits.  Black/metal flake with clear coat on top.  I guarantee that you can put this color combo on a stock spinnerbait in a pinch.  that's what the $2 spinnerbaits at Dick's are for...experimenting and customizing!

#13 Jun-06-12 3:53AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

dave wrote:

Were they Bigmouth brand?  They are very thin wire spinnerbaits.

Yes, they were Bigmouth lures.

#14 Jun-06-12 3:55AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

#15 Jun-06-12 3:03PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

That spinnerbait can be duplicated easily, if the Indiana blades are not a priority.  The base color of that bait is a common color that most companies call Glimmer Blue or something similar.  Terminator makes a good one.  Get one and a Spike-It dye marker (avail. online thru bass pro).  If you hate garlic scent like I do, get the gamefish scent, its a mild anise (sort of) scent.  every bass fisherman should have one for quick customizations on the water.  apply to the top half of the skirt.  The more you apply the deeper the color will get.  Chartreuse nail polish (you can find 99 cent discount polish at alot of drug stores) can be used to coat the blade(s) if you wish.  Hope this helps.

-Gary

#16 Jun-06-12 6:04PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Good spinnerbait recipe.  I will have to try that and let you know how it turns out.  Who knew a simple post could get so much response!  Thanks for all the tips.

Board footer