Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-03-12 4:50PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

Sun Glasses

I am looking at buying a nice pair of sunglasses for fishing ($100-$180) and have been looking mainly at Costas and Oakleys. The costas have multiple lens options (ie 580p and 400g) and colors. What is the difference other than the fact that g is glass and p is plastic? Which do you prefer?

I am also open to other suggestions for brand of glasses if you have a preference.

Thanks,

Tyler

#2 Jun-03-12 5:43PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

Re: Sun Glasses

Glass makes for the clearest lenses, but is noticeably heavier on your face.  amber is probably best all around color for fishing.  gray blocks the most light, yellow-green accentuates the green of largemouth the most (but gives me a headache) and amber is in-between.

Oakley and Costa make good shades.  Maui Jim makes the best on earth.  3 optometrists have validated this opinion for me.  I have 2 pair (one amber, one gray).  I also have a pair of Solarbats I got as a promo from their rep back when I worked in fishing tackle.  Nice for a $50 set of shades.  I use them as a back-up.

Maui Jim's best style for fishing, in my opinion, is the Banyan model.

Let me know if I can elaborate on this any, I put in alot of time researching this stuff back in the day.

#3 Jun-03-12 7:10PM

Plastic Bigfoot

Re: Sun Glasses

I've heard that some of the cheap sunglasses made in China can say 100% UV protection while not actually offering any protection, so the dark lenses end up just dialating your pupils and letting even more UV rays in than not wearing any sunglasses at all. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I’ll stay with you until I am dead."

Board footer