Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-16-12 5:28AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Occoquan Shad

I made the trip down to the Occoquan for shad sunday. When I got down to the treatment plant, it looked like a marina just beyond the foot bridge with all the boats parked up in there and banks were loaded with people standing shoulder to shoulder. I pulled up and anchored just east of the footbridge and had two come unbuttoned and landed one on my first 3 casts. I was thinking it was going to be a good day. Over the next 30 min. I landed 1 more and had a few more come off, then I got hung up on the bottom. I pulled up the anchor and pulled my lure free and when I turned around some joker had pulled up behind me and anchored where I had been fishing. I let him take the spot and went down stream past the couple of boats that had moved in since I got there anchored up again and managed only 1 more hook up in the next hour and half. The run seems very strange this year. Maybe it is the gin clear water (4' of vis) or the blue bird skies yesterday, but I just didn't see the numbers i would expect to see this time of year and I didn't see anyone else catching anything either.  Usually, you see them hitting the surface all around you and few dead one floating by and vultures sitting in every tree because they are too full and fat to fly. Has the run already peaked?

#2 Apr-16-12 5:31AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Occoquan Shad

Fletcher's is still active.....

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer