Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-12-11 1:55PM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Local Tackle Shop Inquiry

I'm relatively new to Loudoun (8 years).  Is there / has there been a local shop in the area?  I primarily fly fish and Tysons or Frederick are the closest fly shops ..... seems like Leesburg/Loudoun has enough of a customer base to support a specialty fishing shop.

Open to comments ....

#2 Dec-12-11 2:28PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Local Tackle Shop Inquiry

I have thought of it many times.....I even have a replica of what it will look like.

Pacemaker Fishing Supplies- so named by Carl Johnson.

There are fly shops in Tysons, Arlington and Alexandria. And Dick's sells what they can, some stores are better (try Baileys X Roads where Dan works).

In my opinion, the best store is Greentops which about 2 hours south. I would love to duplicate that here.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Dec-12-11 6:00PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

I have actually been thinking about opening one when i get older if i still live here. but hopefully by then i will be down in Florida. haha

If anyone wants to start one i would certainly be interested in helping out.

Last edited by TyF (Dec-12-11 6:01PM)

#4 Dec-12-11 8:41PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Not much in the way of fly stuff at the Dick's Sporting Goods where I work. I don't think the one out at the Dulles Town Center would be much better. I am sure they've crunched the numbers on it and found other stuff to be more profitable but it seems like there is at least some demand for fly stuff in the area. Maybe they'll look into in the future if demand continues to grow.

Is there maybe anything across the river from Leesburg?

Last edited by Dominion Dan (Dec-12-11 8:43PM)

#5 Jan-20-12 6:17PM

IL_DUCE

houli- i met you at the redskins vs eagles game- called you out as a fly fisherman based on your simms hat. i work at the dicks in dulles town center. met curly there today actually. we have a very limited fly section, but we do have your basic flies. not very many rods or reels though.

#6 Jan-21-12 4:43AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Rob - Nice meeting you at Dick's last night.  Let us know when the new stock comes in smile .

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#7 Jan-21-12 7:09AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Hey Rob, it's Dan from #290. Did you ever get that clip from Mossberg?

#8 Jan-21-12 11:52AM

IL_DUCE

dan- yes we did, dunno what nick did with it, ill get it and send it down to you. we have gotta get together for some fishing this spring. i also found that kayak at gaithersburg.
curly- nice meeting you too. sorry i had to run so quickly. were slowly getting the new stock in, i will keep everyone updated on sales, promotions, etc. now through next saturday its 50% off clearance lures. we have some ok stuff, but if your looking for something specific let me know and ill check it out.

Last edited by IL_DUCE (Jan-21-12 11:55AM)

#9 Jan-21-12 1:15PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Now this is a Dick's Employee Blog. LOL..............big_smile

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#10 Jan-22-12 1:29AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Rob, if you find it, you might as well hang on to it. I'll be working at your store starting Feb. 6th so I can just grab it and bring it back with me and drop it off at 290.

#11 Jan-22-12 5:15AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

dan is coming to dulles????

#12 Jan-22-12 10:38AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Yep, for at least a few months.

#13 Feb-01-12 9:21PM

CrankbaitGuy

There was a store in Leesburg about ten years ago that sold "sporting lifestyle" and was a minor Orvis dealer with a few rods.  They didn't last long.  Otherwise, Orvis at Tyson's or the random shop SW of Frederick are your most dedicated bug-throwing shops.

#14 Feb-29-12 9:59AM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Thanks - wanted to see if there have been failed attempts in recent years.  Based on the location (Potomac, Shenandoah, local reservoir/pond/lake), demographics, income and interest in the sport seems like one would be viable.  I wasn't thinking a fly only type shop but one w/ a mix of fly and spin as well as a range on price point from economical (not cheap) to higher end equipment (seems like Dicks doesn't really fill this niche).  Also gearing tackle toward the local water and possibly kayak anglers.  I guess with the internet a click away you never know ..... i personally like seeing and playing with what I'm looking to buy before pulling the trigger.

Thoughts.

#15 Feb-29-12 11:07AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Closest one I know of is up in Brunswick MD on their main drag.  Hours are variable by the season, but they have some neat stuff.

#16 Feb-29-12 11:19AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Houli wrote:

Also gearing tackle toward the local water and possibly kayak anglers.  I guess with the internet a click away you never know ..... i personally like seeing and playing with what I'm looking to buy before pulling the trigger.

Thoughts.

That's why we have Bass Pro Shop. I know it's a hike from Ashburn, but after a few hours browsing and $150.00 you'll enjoy the drive home. My problem is I'm closer, and browse too often.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

Board footer