Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-17-12 9:23AM

kidnikarus
Northern Snakehead

No Snakehead yet.

I thought I caught my first snakehead yesterday in the rain at Four Mile Run. Turned out to be a bowfin. I was a little disappointed - not sure why since it was my first Bowfin and it was still fun to catch. Thought it was a carp at first from the way he pulled.

On a side note, my phone does not take pictures in the rain. Any time there is any drop of water or fish slime on my phone it acts completely crazy. Any else have this issues with a touch screen phone? I may need to invest in a regular camera and keep it in my fishing bag.

Nick Mendis
Woodbridge, VA

#2 Feb-17-12 9:43AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: No Snakehead yet.

Are you sure it wasn't a snakehead? Don't think I've ever heard of a bowfin in the Potomac. I think I'd be more excited about catching one of those!

tight lines

#3 Feb-17-12 9:58AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

The snakehead and the bowfin resemble each other. The biggest difference is on the anal fin...the bowfin has one that is only an inch or two long whereas the snakehead anal fin is about half the length of its body.
Bruce

#4 Feb-17-12 1:31PM

kidnikarus
Northern Snakehead

I could be wrong, but I checked the VDGIF site and this thing looked exactly like a bowfin. I do not remeber what the anal fins looked like and I did not check for the spot on the tail. But the shape of the head looked more like a bowfin's and it was greenish with slight darker green markings. When I first saw the head I thought it was actually a bass until it rolled and I saw the looong body.  Either way it was pretty awesome. I had been skunked the last three times I went out.

Nick Mendis
Woodbridge, VA

#5 Feb-17-12 1:40PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

I'm not aware of any bowfins this far up in the Potty either.  There are plenty of NSH in 4MR!  My money is on it being your first NSH! big_smile

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

Board footer