Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-10-12 1:33PM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Dickerson Shoreline

First fishing trip of 2012. Unfortunately, I caught nothing while fishing the MD side of the warm water discharge from the Dickerson Power Plant. Water wasn't too high and it was very clear. Only fished for 2 hours in the afternoon...watched 2 other shoreline fishermen and one boater and none of them caught anything either. I used tubes and grubs without luck. Beautiful day to be out...sunny and 53 degrees. Results can only improve from here!

#2 Jan-11-12 2:37PM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Dickerson Shoreline

Glad you got out.

smile

#3 Jan-16-12 6:44AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

I am going to try the place soon.  Thanks for the post.

Joe

#4 Jan-17-12 2:17AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Hope you have good luck. Post your results so maybe I can learn better how to fish that area.

#5 Jan-17-12 2:08PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

I'm thinking Dickerson will be a waste of time.  I know I won't be going up there any.  I can't remember the last time I've seen anything coming out of the smokestacks.  There are a few places you can see them without driving all the up Rt15.   Ft Evans Rd east of Battlefield Pkwy is one, Potomac View Rd above Costco in Sterling is another.

#6 Jan-17-12 3:36PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

There won't be smoke from the stacks anymore, they've installed a flue gas scrubber. There should be a new shorter stack with white steam or smoke. If you see that the plant is running.

The scrubber at morgantown near 301 bridge is only half as tall as the original 750' stacks, still lots of hot water being discharged.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#7 Jan-17-12 3:48PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

If the temps are below freezing.................I promise it is running!  I was there about a year ago in someone elses boat.....no smoke, but the water temps were 45-47 degrees down from the outflow when the main river was 35 degrees.

Oh yeah.........we didn't catch anything that day sad .

Last edited by Curly (Jan-17-12 3:49PM)

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#8 Feb-06-12 8:29PM

Salmo

I went last week also.  The water temp in the river was 43 and in the outflow was 41, no kidding?!  There was hardly anywater coming out of the outflow kayak course.  Normally it is significantly more flow.  THe last few years have really sucked there.  But then once went out of whites Ferry two years ago and had high 40 degree water temp all the way down there and in the 30's in the main river.  We caught a handful of fish, nothing great.  So, what else is going on?  I was also skunked a few weeks ago at a few warm water spots from shore around DC. 

I did hear that the muskie bite on a few Va rivers is incredible right now.  Check out Mossy Creek's Page. 

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= … amp;ref=ts

#9 Feb-17-12 9:41AM

Salmo

I went again two days ago.  Millions of stoneflies all over the place, adults, just sitting on the water, some just fledging.  Tons of sea gulls chowing down.  Not one rise all over the river.  Once again, hardly anywater coming out of the discharge, no temperature difference.  I threw all big lures looking for something toothy, no dice.  May have been able to dredge up a bronze back if I threw some tubes but wasn't into it.  No muskie.  Water is gin clear and low.  Could see down 8 feet or so.

Board footer