Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-02-12 5:36AM

Ernie
Administrator

Buzzbaits

Khahn came over the other night (he had a crappie fix he needed to settle) and saw that I was working on freshening up my buzzbaits. I have 2 boxes of them yet they have not touched the water in perhaps two years....maybe more. I put some nice skirts on tehm and they are ready to roll.

I know that Josh (L1Ranger) is a huge fan. He throws them on the river for smallies. Anyone else? How about our ponds....any success?

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Feb-02-12 9:20AM

IL_DUCE

Re: Buzzbaits

I believe I have met Khan while workin at Dicks- that guy is nuts about crappie fishing haha. Personally I love buzzbaits. A black buzzbait is my go to for the early morning/ late evening topwater bite. I have used them in the Ashburn, Sterling and Herndon ponds right before it gets dark and have had a lot of luck. My best bites have come when running them by cover (lilypads, fallen trees, etc), but I have also caught fish running them over open water. Anywhere you are throwing a buzzbait, don't just cast once and move on. A few casts in the same place may provoke an aggression strike from a big bass that is just plain agitated at the buzzbait being thrown in their territory over and over. In my experience, a buzzbait works best when it is reeled in as slow as possible while still keeping it on top of the water. Also, snakeheads LOVE these things anytime of day back in the creeks of the potomac (little hunting, dogue).

#3 Feb-02-12 10:50AM

Ernie
Administrator

Great info...thanks! I do know that snakeheads love them but they also tear 'em up. A hook and a frog is a bit cheaper.

IL_DUCE wrote:

I believe I have met Khan while workin at Dicks- that guy is nuts about crappie fishing haha..

Understatement of the year!!!!

#4 Feb-02-12 12:33PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

A couple years ago I got one of those buzzbaits with a 10 inch rod between the propeller and the skirt/hook.  The funkiest looking thing, but Pike absolutely loved them.  I thought for sure they would hit the propeller and miss the hook, but they consistently took the hook.  I haven't tried it with Bass yet.

http://www.landbigfish.com/showcase.cfm?PID=3438

#5 Feb-02-12 1:36PM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

I love buzzbaits as well! my favorite colors being ghost and black. when i went smallie fishing with a guide, he taught us a few tricks and i was shocked as hell at how he was using these buzzbaits. but it worked! i've wanted to get out and try this technique he taught me for awhile now but i haven't had a chance to get out.  Buzz baits, along with other top water lures, are just lots of fun. Just have to know when to use them and where to throw them. It's always during lowlight situations for me and as IL_DUCE said, work them as slow as possible.

#6 Feb-02-12 4:47PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

I used to throw buzzbaits alot, but since the frog rage ensued I find myself mostly tossing Zoom Horny Toads instead.  But then again, I fish thick grass on the Potomac ALOT from May to October.  The toad is much more weedless, so it suits my specific needs.

#7 Feb-03-12 6:18AM

Ernie
Administrator

I agree about the weedless frog... use them a lot.

But since I dusted off these 2 boxes of BB's and reskirted them, I think I may use them in the lakes this year.

#8 Feb-03-12 3:48PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

I like to throw them in the dark with a saassy shad type bait for a trailer.

slow is hard to beat, but find the cadence for the day

my experience is they catch a lot of smaller fish. i like the old bill norman triple wing model

every now and then a big one will absolutely kill it

as time went on I discoveredd any bait that catches fish in the day will catch them in the dark

J&P, crankbaits, worms, anything. spinnerbaits can be very good in the dark

i find most ponds tend to have a trend, where a particular offering or approach is unbeatable for a while

a few years ago it was the swim jig for me

what was the topic again?????????

#9 Feb-03-12 3:55PM

Ernie
Administrator

Another good lesson Jeff......

Problem is that I don't fish in the dark...scared of big mosquitoes!

#10 Feb-03-12 4:32PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

thats a little strange, I guess they dont like me. i am seldom bothered around here.
gnats are a different story-about chew my head of in the daylight sometimes

in chicago/indiana, the dusk onslaught of mosquitoes is about like assateague and chincoteague

#11 Feb-03-12 6:09PM

Ernie
Administrator

Growing up in Cuba, those rascals marked me. I will be standing next to people and be getting bit, skito sucking blood from me. No one else gets nailed.

#12 Feb-03-12 9:12PM

IL_DUCE

my favorite night time baits are zara one knocker spooks or the arbogast jitterbug. both classic lures that have been around for awhile. the spook draws strikes from monster bass.

#13 Feb-06-12 4:57AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I'm a skeet magnet.  Hiking through the High Sierra's and fishing up in Maine scared me.

I throw Smang's buzzbaits.  He tunes them before sending them.  Not sure how he tunes them, but I hold mine out the car window on the freeway for about five minutes to tune them.  Gives them that nice screech that attracts fish.

#14 Feb-06-12 4:35PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

I agree 100% with Rob about making repeated casts to the same spots. If the water is at least semi-warm and there is low light I will throw a buzzbait until I get tired. Sometimes you have to cast a lot to get them angry enough to hit it.

#15 Feb-09-12 10:58PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

Early Spring is a great time for Buzz Baits.  A friend of mine goes out on the upper Potomac as soon as ice is out and throws a buzz bait around any shoreline cover and just tears up largemouth.  He doesn't even take along any other bait. Always does well on them.

I fish a small buzzbait in any riffles on rivers. Smallmouth cannot stand it. They just slam them. They won't touch them anywhere else during the middle of the day, but riffles produce the mother lode.

When throwing a buzz bait around cover, make sure that you keep the rod tip down and make the bait bang into the cover. When it bounces off a log, hold on. The largest bass in the area will be pulling on your string.

Charlie NHBA.........

#16 Feb-10-12 5:01AM

Ernie
Administrator

Great stuff guys....thanks!

Board footer