Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-24-12 5:56AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Musky/Pike/Striper Rod and Reel

I am looking for a Rod/Reel for Musky/Pike/Striper and I was hoping to get some input from you guys.  Basic requirements:

Rod
-Inexpensive
-Heavy Action
-Baitcaster
-Line up to about 30+ lbs
-Lures up to 2oz (or more)

A couple ideas I have found online:
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-T … 4528/62829 (heavy) ($30 on sale)
Dicks Sporting Goods has a Field & Stream Musky Rod that handles lures up to 4 or 5 ozs. for $50.  I can't find this online.

Reel
-Inexpensive ($60ish)
-Baitcaster
-Line up to about 30+ lbs
-Lures up to 2oz (or more)
-Drag 12lbs +

A couple ideas:
http://www.basspro.com/Abu-Garcia-Silve … 178/252986
http://www.basspro.com/Abu-Garcia-BCX-B … 4200/47780

Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, or comments?  The Low Profile reel has 15lbs of drag but I typically see the classic round baitcasters used for Musky fishing.  So, I am not sure if there is a problem using the Low Profile version.  Will the Low Profile be able to handle the heavier line?  It has better drag capability than the BCX.  The rod will have to handle up to 50 inch Pike.
Thanks for any input.

#2 Jan-24-12 9:53AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Musky/Pike/Striper Rod and Reel

Have Tyler check around at the NHBA show....lots of deals there!

I am a fan of Abu C3's and C'4s (round). I use a C4 in FL when all the other guys use $200-300 reels. It cranks 'em up just fine.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jan-24-12 2:33PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

Mr. Rojas i plan on doing that when i am not helping you out. smile 

Those reels would be my first choice but they are a bit expensive (new) if there is a deal at the Flea Market i will jump on it!

#4 Jan-24-12 5:26PM

basscrusher
Northern Snakehead

Greg -- a few questions:

1)  where will you be fishing for them, and what specific lures will you use (in other words, will you really be throwing 3 oz Buchertails like they do up North?)
2)  Will you use braid or mono/flouro?

I ask for several reasons.  First, most of the people I know who catch alot of muskies LOCALLY (on Burke Lake or on the shenandoah) throw big lures, but not those 2-5 oz ones you see on TV.  In fact, the 2 most successful local musky guys I used to talk to caught most of their muskies on big Rapalas (Shenandoah & New rivers) and on really big jigs at burke lake.  In fact, my tourney partner caught a nice 14 lb musky at Burke on a Gerkin jig, which I had the unfortunate pleasure of landing/dehooking.  either way, alot of the better musky lures for this neck of the woods aren't really much over 1 oz, or are under 1 oz.  If you really do plan on throwing 2+ oz lures, you will need something that stout.

also, if you use braid, you could potentially go with a low profile baitcaster, but if you are gonna use mono, you'll need a round reel for the line capacity.  On a budget, I'd agree with Ernie and get a basic Abu round reel.  A fairly inexpensive rod could be found in the Ugly Stik Bigwater Special model BWC 1120 60.  This ain't the ugly stik most people know...this rod is a MONSTER!  Stiff beyond belief, and almost unbreakable like most ugly stiks.  I almost got this rod years ago for musky fishing myself, but settled on something a bit lighter and more versatile once I realized I'd get frustrated and start bass fishing anyway.

#5 Jan-24-12 7:35PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Want a St. Croix Premier 6.5ft heavy action (1/2-1 1/2 oz 12-25lb) baitcasting rod for $60? It's in like new condition and I got it from a friend only to realize I really don't need it. I paid $60 for it and I can show it to you at the yard if you want? It'd be good to put a name to a face anyway and try to coordinate some kayak fishing this summer. Otherwise I have a Bass Pro Muskie rod that I'd recommend, get the 7ft MH version when it goes on sale this spring, you can get it for about $23 dollars I think.

Oh and look for Curado's in the 201 b's not the e7 and you can get a deal. Are you right handed? If you're really looking for something muskie class I also have a like new cardiff that I'm getting rid of at an upcoming swap meet that is right hand (aka why I'm getting rid of it).

If you're looking to go new, check out the teramar MH extra fast and a nice 5 series abu or low pro abu revo inshore or curado. That'd be very sweet for all species mentioned.

Last edited by Redfish12 (Jan-24-12 7:37PM)

#6 Jan-25-12 7:21AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Answers to questions:
1.  Tyler and I do fish up North each year and this rod is intended for fishing 50 inch Pike (Tyler has three 38 inchers so far).
2.  I expect to use Braid, but based on Basscrusher and Ernie's recommendation I am leaning heavily toward the Abu C3 or C4 so I could use either Braid or Mono.

Redfish, I am in the WNY all week.  But in a fire drill today.  If you are around on Friday, we can meet for lunch at the Town Center (or whatever they call the food court on base) at noon?  I would like to see that St. Croix rod.  Hard to pass up for $60.

I reel with my right hand but am left handed.

Thanks for the help/input/offers.

#7 Jan-25-12 7:32AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

I telework on Fridays and I'll be TDY for the next few weeks. We'll work it out one day. Do you still have my number?

#8 Jan-25-12 11:09AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Yes, I have your number.  I can do Thursday if you are around?

#9 Jan-25-12 11:13AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

That can work. Kinda weird walking around with a rod though, but I guess that's alright! Call me around 11 tomorrow, I have to go to another site in the afternoon. I think you'd want something with a longer handle and some stout backbone for 50" musky. The premier would be more of an all around/occasional musky rod but what do I know!

#10 Jan-25-12 3:46PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Talk to you tomorrow.

#11 Jan-31-12 7:21PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Hey Greg, how did the rod work out for you? Was it able to handle the heavy lures you were talking about?

Here's a reel option - http://www.ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=5309 & http://www.basspro.com/Abu-Garcia-ORRA- … 1300/95712 for more information.

I have the Revo inshore as I said, but this looks like a nice cheaper alternative.

#12 Feb-01-12 6:55AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Work has gotten in the way.  I haven't been able to get out yet.  If I get lucky, I hope to get out late this afternoon and will take a couple casts with the heavy lures just to test it out.  I will look silly casting huge lures on Ashburn Lake.   Maybe it is a good thing it will be close to dark when I finally get out, so nobody will see me.

Board footer