Has any one ever caught these

Cedar is loaded with these large carp or gold fish

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g307/jumpingjasper/P5020026.jpg

smile

#2 May-03-08 8:35AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Has any one ever caught these

I tried to catch the big white one today with a teeny PowerBait....didn't even look at it!

I did buy some corn Gulp! which I plan to use o the carp. I have caught carp (23 or 24 years ago) in Goose Creek using a #6 hook and a split shot, just leaving it alone on the bottom.

This is the year to catch a big carp!!

Khahn- as soon as it stays warm and I have some time, I will sit and carp/cat fish!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 May-04-08 10:31PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

Gentlemen:

Get yourself a box of Wheaties and a box of Strawberry Jello. Take a handfull of Wheaties and wet them thoroughly. They will be sticky. Sprinkle the Jello powder on the Wheaties ball and work it in a little. Break off balls of the mixture about the size of marbles. Bury #8 or #6 gold hooks in the Wheaties/Jello, toss it out, open the bail and wait. When, and ONLY WHEN, the line start moving out, pick up the rod and set the hook hard, but not aggressively. The fish will do the rest.

Carp saved many a guide trip for me over a 17 year span and they cannot resist this bait.

Good luck with them.
Charlie NHBA

Charlie NHBA.........

#4 May-05-08 8:20AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Bass Hunter wrote:

jumping jasper wrote:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g307/ … 020026.jpg

JJ,

Which part of Cedar did you spot these guys? I don't really see them near the dam.

Are they swimming in the shallows in the opposite end of the spillway? I'm going to try and cast some Hex and Dragonfly Nymphs in front of them.

There were eight or nine of these guys on the north end of the dam in the shallow cove. I usally see them by the lily pads on the north side of the lake. ( Opposite of Ernie's)

smile

#5 May-05-08 10:19AM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

Bass Hunter wrote:

Charlie,

Great information with the carp bait recipe. Do you think this bait will work with Koi, which is what is pictured?

I am assuming that Koi will feed on the exactly the same stuff that carps do but wasn't sure.

Koi are Carp. We tried this with a buddy's koi in his fish pond. Caught them beautifully.
No problem. Just make sure your bait balls are not too large. If so, they will suck the bait off the hook and you won't catch them. Be prepared for a lot of this anyway.

Another trick is to dump a can of Niblets Corn in an area you normally see them. Dump a can every day for about 4 days. The fifth day, thread about 3-4 Niblets corn kernels on a #8 gold hook and toss it in the same place. They will readily take it. HOLD ON!

Charlie NHBA

Charlie NHBA.........

#6 May-05-08 1:44PM

Ernie
Administrator

Charlie NHBA wrote:

Another trick is to dump a can of Niblets Corn in an area you normally see them. Dump a can every day for about 4 days. The fifth day, thread about 3-4 Niblets corn kernels on a #8 gold hook and toss it in the same place. They will readily take it. HOLD ON!

Charlie NHBA

That is the method that I will be using!

Ernie

#7 May-07-08 1:21PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Corn chumming the night before will work.

My method is close the wheaties method..

Pop n Fresh dough tube and strawberry jello mixed the day before the trip.

Now take every leadered hook (size small) bait holder and press into balls of the mixture.. Small balls work best but enough to cover hook totally.

Place on paper in the sun and let dry hard. Gather up the pre-made baits in a gallon bag. Each time you need another bait just clip a new hook on the leader loop. Small snap and few spilt shots is all that is needed.

Piece of advice: Tend your rod or tie it to something heavy.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#8 May-27-08 2:11PM

Fishmaster-Sierra

I almost caught one of those. Surprisingly, I hooked it on nightcrawlers! Unfortunetly, the hook slipped and I lost it. sad

who said girls can't fish??

#9 Aug-30-11 7:27PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

jumping jasper wrote:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g307/ … 020026.jpg

Ernie/Jeff...do you guys still see these big koi swimming around in Cedar? I think I am going to give Charlie Taylor's wheaties/jello dough mix bait a try this weekend.

#10 Aug-30-11 7:29PM

Ernie
Administrator

Bass Hunter wrote:

Ernie/Jeff...do you guys still see these big koi swimming around in Cedar? I think I am going to give Charlie Taylor's wheaties/jello dough mix bait a try this weekend.

Yes....along with other carp.

Board footer