Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-18-11 3:45AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Snakehead Fishing in Mattawoman, Indian Head, MD - July 16

On July 16, 2011, I made the second snakehead fishing in Mattawoman Creek, MD.  This time I was well prepared to catch snakehead.  I knew the target area and two good lures. And I stuck with my game plan.  I caught my first and second snakehead.

But I was not prepared to handle snakehead on a sit-on-top kayak.  Snakehead was hard to contain. I felt I was handling a big fat eel. They sprang out of the net into the water. I scoop them with the net again. Once the hooks came off, it was a war.  I had hard time to contain them because the fish was big and slimy and the Hobie pedal was in the way. It took me 15 minutes for the first one to have a good grip on it.  Next time I am not bring the Hobie because 1) the fins of pedal drive  caught a ton of weed (I am paddling in 6” – 1.5’ of water) and 2) the pedal drive was in the way when handling the snakehead.   Also I will bring a towel to have a good grip on snakehead.

Snakeheads aren't pretty fish. But, they are tasty (firm white meat) as many anglers said.

I tried to put useful info about snakehead fishing (such as target area and lures - I learned) on  my video fishing log:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UprN9nGMhII

#2 Jul-18-11 3:47AM

greenRanger364v

Re: Snakehead Fishing in Mattawoman, Indian Head, MD - July 16

My dad and I also got a few yesterday.  They are hard to grab but and do release a lot of mucous but they are actually pretty fish.

#3 Jul-18-11 4:51AM

Ernie
Administrator

Great video....nice work!

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Jul-18-11 5:08AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Good video on them.. well done.

I use the same method except I like the snakehead jumping out of the live well and scaring the heck out of clients..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#5 Jul-18-11 8:34AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Great video as usual. Good job. Definitely slimy buggers but very cool looking. Not bad fighters either. A nice bonus. BTW, I've had better luck using lures that imitate fish than frogs. I'm after them again tonight at Pohick.

Capt Mike, Do you need a lid for that livewell?!?

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

Board footer