Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-30-11 12:21PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Potomac River Fisheries Blue Sheet - Questions about species

I've been looking at this list of regulations for a couple of years now and I have been wondering if people target some of the species listed in the Potomac. This is a diverse group, so I am hopeful to hear responses.

http://www.prfc.state.va.us/sports/BLUE_SHEET_2011.pdf

Sea bass & Tautog especially interest me. Has anyone ever caught them in the PRFC jurisdiction? I am not looking for spots by any means, just curious if it was by accident or if they can be found regularly. I have caught flounder at PLO so I believe other fish swim up the river. Specs/weakfish have been on a decline, but I have heard of occasional run-ins on the river. I have never heard about a tautog being caught on the river though.

Anyone ever run into some of the lesser talked about fish on the Potomac?

Last edited by Redfish12 (Jun-30-11 12:22PM)

#2 Jun-30-11 2:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Potomac River Fisheries Blue Sheet - Questions about species

I have that chart pinned on the wall in my office but I think that some of these species either cannot be found in the Potomac or they are extremely rare. Perhaps they were caught in the past.

I am anxious to hear from Osprey and the good Capt. Mike.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jun-30-11 2:25PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

You, Mike, and Bob were some of the guys I was gearing this question to! I've fished the Potomac a few times a year since I was a child and now that I live in this area I can say that I am truly impressed with the number of species that can be caught. You never know what will be at the end of your line in some areas. (Anyone see that tiger trout caught at the concrete slab above chain bridge??).

That being said, the saltier portions are calling me and these species would be fun to target. I just doubt they are there! Especially in a year of such low salinity such as this year... Although, I did hear of some black drum above the bridge which seems odd. I guess we will see what late summer brings...

Last edited by Redfish12 (Jun-30-11 2:30PM)

#4 Jun-30-11 2:55PM

Ernie
Administrator

weakfish- in the past
speckeled trout, reds- on occasion
Spanish macs- yes
toutog- no clue
Black Sea bass- at one time

all others- yes

#5 Jun-30-11 3:00PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Thanks Ernie. The guy I've been fishing with as a kid would tell us stories about how fishing used to be out there. He said it used to be very easy to catch big trout (not sure if he distinguished specs/weakies). He said they would regularly go out and fill a cooler with 10lb trout...I think those days are done and the weakfish from what I have heard fishing up and down the coast sound like they are a thing of the past.

Out of curiosity, the sea bass you caught- were they near the mouth of the river? Were they ever 12 inches?

#6 Jun-30-11 3:11PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I've never heard of any tog in the river. I have heard reports of them being around the bay bridge rock piles in January, and if true they have to pass the river. Maybe around some of the ballast stone piles, but if they're there it's a well kept secret.
I've heard of black drum being caught in cornfield harbor. They migrate up the eastern side of the bay and sometimes back down on the western side. I've heard of many in and around the mouth of St Jerome's creek so the Potomac isn't a stretch.
Sea bass used to be plentiful, but none approaching 12". My dad used to call them black wills and if you caught one around 7' you had a prize.
Never caught a sturgeon, but I've seen them. Not sure if it's still the case, but DNR wanted you to report any you caught and they'd come to you to collect it (live)
I've  caught the rest on the list as well as species not on the list. King William Perch come to mind.
Capt. Mike's list will surprise you, and proves anything is possible

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#7 Jun-30-11 3:55PM

Ernie
Administrator

The black sea  bass was a story.....I did not catch it.

I have caught a nice sized houndfish at Swan Point....on a fly too!

#8 Jul-01-11 5:42AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

I've never seen a chain or caught one in the potomac. Has anyone else?

I'm sure the reduced size in specs and reduced number of weak fish has nothing to do with Omega Proteins vacuuming up everything it can in the bay and the mouth of the river.

#9 Jul-01-11 6:08AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Thanks for weighing in Bob. I am not familiar the king William perch, what is that? Yellow?

Tog at the bb rock piles? If that is the case then you would think they are on the rocks around PLO. I wonder if anyone ever looks for them there.

I believe dnr still wants you to call in the sturgeon. They put tracking devices on them.

Last edited by Redfish12 (Jul-05-11 12:20PM)

#10 Jul-14-11 11:45PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

At one time or another, I have caught all species on the chart in the Potomac River.
The discussion about Tautog is interesting. The rock piles around Point Lookout (Cornfield Harbor) hold tautog during the winter months into the early spring.  Someone mentioned Chain Pickerel. Mattawoman Creek and the Spoils used to be loaded with them. Haven't caught them there in years. Back in the 80's, it was not at all unusual to catch a 151 Qt. Igloo cooler full of weakfish in the 5-15# class. I remember one trip when we loaded my Igloo with weakfish which had been scaled, gutted and heads/tails cut off. The fish averaged 6# and the cooler took four men to lift into my Suburban. Have caught many chopper bluefish in Aquia Creek; flounder, croaker and spot off National Airport; American eels all over the river; speckled trout in Nomini Creek; white and yellow perch all over the river, black drum, red drum, sea bass, Spanish mackerel, tautog and weakfish from the mouth of St. Mary's river to Smith Point and Point Lookout; shortnosed sturgeon off Alexandria waterfront and in Aquia creek; Hickory and American shad at Fletcher's boathouse, along with river herring; bullhead, white and channel catfish all over the river; and largemouth bass all over the river.

In addition, there have been many species not listed, such as smallmouth bass, tiger muskie, walleye, blue catfish, sea robins, cownosed rays, dogfish, cobia and oyster crackers.

Charlie NHBA.........

Charlie NHBA.........

#11 Jul-15-11 6:35AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Or tarpon or bonefish or red snapper or spadefish.

All caught between Colonial Beach and 301 Bridge.

I caught most pickels in Port Tobacco Creek back in the canals.. I think they still exist back there.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#12 Jul-15-11 6:40AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Or the big brown trout caught at the mouth of Mattawomen.

Have not heard of salmon caught here but up on the Susky Flats last year one was caught.

Since there are no fences to keep them out any fish can show up. Even seals up by Popes Creek.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#13 Jul-15-11 2:05PM

sportzfish

Wow, flounder, croaker and spot off National airport?!?!?!

#14 Jul-15-11 2:12PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Thanks guys, I guess I need to get out there more. Saw a tiger trout caught around little falls this year. Salmon is crazy! I though I saw a seal this year but decided it must have been an otter or something. Seemed big though.

Anyone seen a weakfish in the last 5 years in the Potomac? I'm going to go looking for Tog around PLO, should be fun in a kayak!

#15 Jul-15-11 2:46PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Redfish12 wrote:

I'm going to go looking for Tog around PLO, should be fun in a kayak!

I'm betting you'll be on your own trying to find them. This has been a well kept secret. So much so that those who leaked it are probably no longer with us.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

Board footer