Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-12-11 5:58AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Snakehead fishing in Mattawoman Creek, MD - July 9, 2011

Redfish and I fished the first time for snakehead.  There were many big LM and snakehead in the creek.  Sight fishing is possible if you can stand up.
Redfish caught a snakehead. I caught 3 LM and hooked but couldn't land two 4 pounder. I also saw a 7-8 pound LM gulping a bait out of a small hole in the grass bed.  Redfish broadcasted snakehead sightings along the edge of grass bed when he stood up. It was good place for fishing for LM and snakehead. Though, the place can be very crowded during noon and afternoon.  So I am planning to fish very early.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqck5rOEPE

BTW, Redfish and I fished Bay Bridge on the following day. Redfish caught many striper on BKD.  Just watching him casting with anticipation of hook up was more entertaining than my fishing.  I am preparing the video of Redfish catching bay bridge striper.

Thanks,

Joe

#2 Jul-12-11 6:52AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: Snakehead fishing in Mattawoman Creek, MD - July 9, 2011

The rest of the meet and greet crew launched at 3PM after a good lunch. It was crowded, but they weren't in the way. Just a bunch of weekend paddlers. The group caught a lot of fish but no snakeheads One guy caught a 40# blue cat on a jig. I ended up with 7 bass with the biggest at 2.5# all caught on a watermelon brush hog. Got tired of dragging the frog through lilly pads and over the grass. Great place for kayak fishing, you just have to watch out for that Indian Head Charters guy in the jet boat.

Pics are the first 2, got tired of putting the camera away.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii214/captchawk/fishing%202011/P1000005.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii214/captchawk/fishing%202011/P1000004.jpg

Last edited by Osprey (Jul-12-11 6:53AM)

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#3 Jul-12-11 10:32AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Nice seeing you again Bob, not sure why I thought you were Steve. Now that you have the dry suit we should start hitting bigger water in preparation for the fall!

Mattowoman is a cool place and there are lots of bass there. I caught 2 bass and lost one at the boat. I tried to stick with frogs, but only connected with one snakehead. I had a few other blow ups that startled me. One time two snakeheads blew up on my frog near the boat while standing, I almost flipped out!

#4 Jul-12-11 1:24PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Did you guys launch at Slavin's? How much is the ramp fee there?

#5 Jul-12-11 1:31PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

It's not called Slavin's now, it's Mattingly Park now. There's a concession there renting Hobies and selling snacks and bait. The ramp has been improved to a double wide concrete ramp. There's a seperate kayak launch if you choose to use it. Looks like an amusement park ride. Picnic tables, grills and fishing piers. FREE to launch  and picnic.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#6 Jul-12-11 5:05PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

ooooo, free launch, ehhh????

#7 Jul-13-11 5:49AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Good to see you again, Bob. It is definitely a cool place for kayak fishing. My final tally was 6 LM bass, several misses and I spotted 2 very large snakehead. Both were 30" easy. As it was getting dark I found a lot of activity in a shallow area where the creek is wide with a big bend. I had numerous follows and 2 blowups that didn't come tight that I'm sure were snakehead. I don't remember ever seeing bass following lures like that. Pretty exciting seeing that wake heading towards the lure!

DD, Yep, launch is free! Only trouble, since it was the weekend have to wait while boats are taken out. Room for 2 at a time at the ramp. There is a kayak launch and floating dock but I find a ramp is easier.

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#8 Jul-13-11 8:28AM

Ernie
Administrator

Great job guys.....

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer