Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-15-11 1:26PM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Beauty and the Beast in Treasure Cay, Abaco , Bahamas

My wife and I stayed in Treasure Cay Marina and Beach Resort, in Abaco, Bahamas during the first week of June.  My wife enjoyed walking in the beautiful sandy beach, shelling and island hopping.  But the beautiful sandy beach is not for surf fishing and beach snorkeling because there aren’t corals (shelters) for fish near shore. It looked Bahamas is a good place for big fish fishing on a boat.  Bottom line is that you need a boat to do some descent snorkeling/scuba diving and fishing.  It may not be good place for teenagers.  But it is a good place for toddlers and parents.
Fortunately the docks in the protected water hold fish.  I saw two 150lb plus Tarpon snapped the 80# test lines.  I saw many big tarpon and big barracuda along with many 1-3 lb grey snapper (mangrove snapper) while fishing under docks.
To me, every vacation is for my wife, especially since both boys left home.  I usually don’t make plans for my fishing.  But there were always time and places for fishing. So I became an opportunistic fisherman during the vacation.

I fish no matter what, by any means:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB-Mfwqm0q8

Thanks,
Joe

#2 Jun-15-11 1:58PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Beauty and the Beast in Treasure Cay, Abaco , Bahamas

You sure you don't have gills?

Abaco is a great place..I stayed on Elbow Cay once....spectacular!

Snapper and queen triggers.....delicious!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jun-15-11 6:16PM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Ernie,
Once you posted that I was an opportunistic fisherman.  That time I recognized that I was an opportunistic fisherman, and I started to make sure that I am prepared for any windows of opportunities.  You might simply mention these two words, but the words “Opportunistic Fisherman” are in me all the time since. Because of that I bought a travel pole spear (3 pc) before the trip. Pole Spear is legal, but not spear gun in Bahamas.  My rod and reel did not work well with grey snapper, but the pole spear did.

thanks,
joe

#4 Jun-16-11 4:57AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Looks like you had a great trip down there! The spearfishing shots were incredible and the fish look tasty. Glad you got some time off!

#5 Jun-17-11 4:56AM

sportzfish

I like those stop and go shots before the spear impacts your targets.
Just curious but what would you compare the taste of those raw snappers to---yellowtail?

#6 Jun-17-11 6:41PM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

sportzfish wrote:

I like those stop and go shots before the spear impacts your targets.
Just curious but what would you compare the taste of those raw snappers to---yellowtail?

I have eaten yellow snapper and mutton snapper raw often because they are very easy to catch with lures or bait. I think I like raw yellow better than raw mutton and grey.  But they were very close.  I caught 4 yellow snappers on cut squid (from local fishermen).  When cooked I could not tell grey from yellow.

joe

Board footer