Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-03-11 11:30AM

Rob Allen

Need Kayak Advice -

Ernie –

Tara says pick up a second Kayak – I say okay!!!

I currently have a 12 ft. Heritage Redfish Angler - which we got at the auction - we really like it - but have quickly found that it is fun to paddle with a friend- so I want to pick up another kayak -

I was in Solomon’s – stopped by and spoke with Russell at Pax Adventures – you could not invent a nicer guy – or a more knowledgeable person –

Based on my application – I think we are needing a 10 or 12 foot – sit on top – stable – no fishing accoutrements really required (do not need the extra expense)

I looked at the Heritage 10 footer in their store – seems real solid – 699.00 w/ seat included new. 46 lbs

Hurricane 12 ft. 899.00 – 40 lbs. also nice.

Malibu – 10 ft I think  they also seemed real nice.

I guess they all look great in the store!

I am 6'3' currently 250
Son #1 - 6'1 200
Son #2 6'0 170
Mom - 5'7"

The kayak will be used on our creek/cove in Solomons - not as much in the open bay - although it could happen.

I am open to buy used - but really want SOT - Thoughts??

#2 Jun-03-11 11:33AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Need Kayak Advice -

Go SOT!

Go with 12'!

There are many on this Forum that an give you better advice than what I just gave....

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jun-03-11 12:27PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Rob, looks like you have some good advice already! Do you ever go near Norfolk or Farmville? Once you figure out what models you want  Give Tom a call at Appomatox River Company a call. He has the best prices in the country and an enormous inventory. I'd say give him my name but I'm not sure he would remember me or that you would need it. To give you an idea, I got a non angler 2010 trident 13 for $620 with two flushmounts installed by him + tax brand new. I installed the rod pod myself which was pretty easy.

As far as models go, check out the ocean kayak prowler and trident series in non fishing models. All the fishing stuff can be added later should you decide you like it, which you probably will! I had a 12 Redfish when I switched from a canoe (hence my awesome screen name) and loved it, but the weight capacity and speed were issues for me. I'm 6'1 200-215 depending on the season and I always had standing water comin through the scuppers. The OK boats have a much higher weight capacity. I find my trident 13 faster and more stable than the redfish. It is very popular among the paddle fishing guys and it also comes in an 11ft model that would be more nimble for the creeks.  Other models to check out would tarpon 100 & 120 by wilderness systems.

Hopefully that helps! If you ever want to test paddle I have three models you can check out (trident 13, hobie revolution, and a navitve ultimate 14.5). Just let me know!

Last edited by Redfish12 (Jun-03-11 12:40PM)

#4 Jun-03-11 12:37PM

Ernie
Administrator

I have the OK Prowler and the Big Game, both in the 13' length. Perfect for me.....

#5 Jun-03-11 12:41PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Pacemaker wrote:

I have the OK Prowler and the Big Game, both in the 13' length. Perfect for me.....

When are we going to get you out on the bay??

#6 Jun-03-11 1:07PM

Ernie
Administrator

Redfish12 wrote:

When are we going to get you out on the bay??

I'll be out there tomorrow....in my boat! My yaks are still downstairs.....I have not had the want to take them out but I will soon. Still playing with the new toy.

That was a cool drive-by we did on Wednesday....

#7 Jun-03-11 1:10PM

Ernie
Administrator

Rob- what Michale says about Appomattox River Company is true...huge discounts.

Charlie will weigh in when he sees this, he got his there (OK Trident) as well.

You need comfort above all, fishing is secondary. Why no duplicate what you have?

#8 Jun-03-11 1:12PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

You're new toy looks nice! And yeah, great drive by, the people on the curb were like what the... and then the people in Harris Teeter had no idea why I was walking around with huge yardsticks. Those are going to be a lot of fun on the kayak!

Thanks again!!!!

Last edited by Redfish12 (Jun-03-11 1:14PM)

#9 Jun-04-11 8:53PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Definitely go SOT so many more options for what you can do with it and much more accessible.  I would also say 12 ft as it will give you a better and faster ride in the bay and can hold a much more broad range of weights, plus it will be fast ( I kill my friend paddling in my 13ft compared to his 10ft and barely any difference in turning time and maneuverability).  My other friend has that heritage redfish 12 and loves it!  Uses it on floats, lakes, and on very nasty nights at the HRBT which can get really rough!

#10 Jun-05-11 11:04AM

Aches n Pains
Northern Snakehead

Rob,

I've been looking at the Point65 modular SOTs.  Seems to give you a lot of flexibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMVmemG7SrY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p9wbcqT … re=related

http://www.point65.com/default.asp?lang=en

Doug

#11 Jun-05-11 11:07AM

Ernie
Administrator

Very cool....I want to see someone over 50 (or 40 even) do that jump trick!

Board footer