Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-23-11 7:28AM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Kayak Inquiry

I'm in the market for a kayak and not sure what direction to look.  Primary uses would be local ponds/lakes and upper potomac (however I'd haul it to the beach a couple times a year).  I fly fish often so would like to find one that is stable enough to stand in.  I've read sit-on-tops are the way to go but figured I'd see if anyone here has recommendations.

FYI - I'm 6'2" and run about 220.

Thanks,

Ryan

#2 Mar-23-11 7:52AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: Kayak Inquiry

I would say a Gheenoe but you added that upper Potomac thing in there.. And rocks are not a Gheenoe's friend.

I say a kayak at the NCC-TU show that had a split rear end.

Capt mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#3 Mar-23-11 9:07AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

I'm 6' 200 and I can stand in my Ride 135. It's the only kayak I've tried to stand in though, so I'm not sure how it compares to others.

tight lines

#4 Mar-23-11 9:24AM

Ernie
Administrator

Charlie Hill stands in his Ocean Kayak 13'. He is tall, young and slender.

The knees have a lot to do with it. I can stand in my OK Prowler Big Game 13' but the knees take a beating doing so.

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Mar-23-11 9:56AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Or you could go with this..

http://www.wavewalk.com/

I kinda like this..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#6 Mar-23-11 10:10AM

Ernie
Administrator

That's like a human powered Jet Ski!

#7 Mar-23-11 11:13AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

I just bought 2 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100s.  Great features, well built, very stable, easy to transport, and excellent price.  But too small for you.  They make a 12ft Tarpon that is the same features just bigger.  I would say take a look at that if cost is an issue.  If cost is less of an issue, the Ride or the Commander (kind of a hybrid canoe/kayak) are outstanding boats. 

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/produc … ts/angler/

Let me know if you all are interested in a trip down the Goose Creek to the Potomac this spring/summer.  I think it is navigable with a few portages around the dam and other blockages.  Should be a good daylong adventure with some fishing along the way.

#8 Mar-23-11 12:09PM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Thanks for all the input.  I think based on my size I'd be better off w/ 12'+ SOT.  The list I'm looking at is:

WS Ride 135
Malibu Stealth 12 or 14
WS Tarpon 120 or 140
Hobie Quest
Jackson Coosa

I checked out the Freedom Hawk 12 online but can't figure out if that's what I'm looking for.  Anyone have experience with the above?  Anyone selling one of the above or know someone who is?

Thanks.

#9 Mar-23-11 12:18PM

Ernie
Administrator

I saw the Coosa and saw the video of the guy doing flip turns on it. If you are athletic, looks good but I am not sure that is stable enough. Make sure it is wide enough since you are so tall. Otherwise, you will be able to stand but you will use up all your energy trying to stabilize yourself. Those little leg muscles will be firing and tiring.

#10 Mar-24-11 10:42AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

I have an ocean kayak trident 11 and can stand in that (i'm 6' and 210 lbs). It takes a little bit of practice. I suggest doing that on a warm lake on a warm day. I haven't dumped but I don't want to either.

#11 Mar-24-11 10:54AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

The EMS at in the shopping center by wegmuns at waxpool and 28 used to have demo kayaks you could take out for the day. You might want to see if they still do that. Also the appomattox river company www.paddleva.com/richmond/index.htm has demo days as well, probably in the next few weeks. They will have a huge selection, scratch and dent, and last years models available if your looking to save a few bucks.

#12 Mar-24-11 12:10PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

You can try my Ocean Kayak Trident 13 if you would like? Its a very fishing friendly kayak and in am stand and paddle/fish from it in calm water. I'm 6'1 200.

#13 Apr-05-11 4:58PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Hey Houli, I just got a email about the Dulles Eastern Mountain Sports having a boat day this weekend. At times they have had a great selection of SOT kayaks.

Different Boats for Different Folks: April 8th & 9th at both 12pm and 3pm
Confused by the many choices out there? Come find out why our service and selection is the best in the area. Fit and performance is our forte!

Last edited by NOVAhunter (Apr-05-11 4:59PM)

#14 May-04-11 1:41PM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Thanks for the offer Redfish12 and sorry for the late reply .... forgot I had this out there.  Daughter was born March 28th ...... head is still a bit fuzzy!

#15 May-04-11 1:45PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

No problem, we'll work it out. Congratulations!!!

Last edited by Redfish12 (May-04-11 1:46PM)

Board footer