Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-22-11 6:29AM

Salmo

Chain Bridge

I still stink like shad…. 

I hit above the bridge yesterday afternoon in hopes of some smallmouth and maybe walleye.  When I got there the tide was low but the water clarity was almost perfect with a nice tint to it about 1-2 feet of visibility.  I saw two guys snagging gizzard shad every cast.  They seemed to enjoy themselves.  Then they leave and I'm still working the bottom with a tube rigged Texas with no hits, or snagged fish.  Then comes two fly guys.  They proceed to hook gizzard shad in the tail every single cast almost.  One guy even has one of those expensive long handle landing nets and lands the fish for guess what... HIS CLIENT and even proceeds to pose for a picture.  yes, that's right, he was guiding his client to snag gizzard shad.  I later walked up to him and said have you caught any hickories or Americans’ yet, (knowing what the answer would be) “yes, we've been killing them all week."  (Maybe he didn’t hear me.)  Unbelievable.  I later educated what he was catching but was told they were snagging themselves and that every few fish were caught in the mouth.  They were awfully thick in his defense, I will say that.  Try a circle hook with your fly, you will never snag another fish.  This guide will later only target snakeheads.  Those he might get to bite but in the spring I've seen hundreds upon hundreds of them up there in the eddies and absolutely ignore everything that comes near them.   

So, who wants to book a guide all day so we can snag gizzards with fly rods?  Wow, that would be so cool.  I fly fish but that right there just gave every fly fishermen a bad name.  At least fish for fish.  Sometimes you have to use different techniques.  If the fifth fish you caught comes in backwards, chances are your sixth and 7th will too.  Time to move, or try something else. 

Back to my report.  No walleye, quite a few nasty slimy gizzards and one nice smallmouth about 16 inches and its twin but it was a largemouth both caught on the new Berkley havoc creature type baits, texas rigged.  Oh yea, I had over a dozen gizzards hooked near the mouth on Rapala x rap jerk baits.  Think they were hitting them too?

Last edited by Salmo (Mar-22-11 8:01AM)

#2 Mar-22-11 6:50AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: Chain Bridge

Hope he never gets a boat..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#3 Mar-22-11 8:08AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

I hope he gets snagged

#4 Mar-22-11 8:57AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Wow I can't imagine paying to snag gizzard shad all day!  I wonder what the client thought of that.

Congrats on the nice smallmouth.

tight lines

#5 Mar-22-11 9:35AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Gizzard shad are in?!?! Woo hoo! Gotta sharpen the hooks on my Rapala's!

Kidding aside, thanks for posting and nice work on the bass...

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#6 Mar-23-11 11:10AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Mike, he has a driftboat...

Some of those gizzards are enormous and when they get thick up there you can't help but snag them. I'm sure it wasn't intentional...

Anyone ever get one of those snakeheads to bite this time of year?

#7 Mar-23-11 11:41AM

Ernie
Administrator

I saw lots of chatter last year about snakeheads at Fletcher's in the spring.....apparantly, they ain't interested in taking a hook.

Time to go fishin' again!

#8 Mar-23-11 1:10PM

Salmo

I really think it was intentional as they were targetting them with flies.  They told me.  They said as I quoted, "We've been killing them all week."  So whether they snag them near the head or the tail, what's the difference.  They are not taking those flies, not possible.  They just get lucky or unlucky to snag them in or near the mouth sometimes.  Crazy.

Oh went down to fletchers today.  Tons of cormorants in the cove.  Saw one get a hickory and a herring.  Everyone's here for the party.  Hooked one hickory, lost it, that's all the action in 30 minutes of trying.  Not bad.  Right on schedule, maybe a day or two early.  Like last year.

Last edited by Salmo (Mar-23-11 1:11PM)

Board footer