Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-31-08 3:15PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

3-30-08 Smallies and sleet

boy howdy did i pic the wrong day to go fishing
but it worked out okay,  I was down in lynchburg over the weekend to visit family and friends, catch some live music at a local establishment and, of course, try and fool some fish into biting my line.

it all worked out, though conditions were less then perfect.

sunday morning, walk outside and am greeted by the sound of sleet on my truck, but it was still on to the best of my knowledge so down the road I went.  Air temps started at 33 and the high for the day was around 44.  breezy most of the day, but not really windy.  water temps pretty much hovered at 53 all day.  water level was pretty steady too, but started dropping a bit near the end of the day. 

we shoved off into the middle James River about 8AM as the sleet stopped to our relief, and a glimmer of hope that the sun would poke its ornery little head out from behind the clouds.  The sun never cooperated.

within 10 minutes, i boated a fat fiesty 14"er on a spinnerbait out of some moderate current.  our hopes were lifted with this kind of sign of activity early in the day.   not too long after that, I bagged an almost identical fish on a 7" hand poured fluke style lure.  I was ripping it, making the tail dance and then pausing, when i saw the fish come up behind it about 10" from the boat.   I gave it a few more twitches, and stopped as a chanted "eat it..eat it.."  All eyes on him, the lure floated down right into his face and he inhaled it, turned and trucked back into the depths all in one motion.   you could see the stripes on him very nice as he was excited at the prospect of the chase.

Anthony go another one soon after this 'slow rolling" a lipless crank, another fiesty 14er.  and its not even 10 oclock yet.  Much better results than what i was expecting with this weather. 
Shortly before 11 and i was running the fluke type lure again, working a shallow rocky flat.  Sean said soemthign to me, and as i turned to listen to him, i caught a flash were my lure used to be.  I took up my slack and set the hook on a solid fish.  A few minutes later and we were taking pictures and measuring my first citation of 2008 at 20"

http://joshturner.smugmug.com/photos/273054773_HX9ku-M.jpg

he was an old boy, with scars to show for it, but otherwise healthy.  That was it for me for the day, other than a stick that everybody got a good laugh at.  My face lit up as a set the hook, just a moment before the stick came to the surface, shaking its head and trying to throw the hook big_smile

Anthony managed a couple more fish, all about the same 14"er fiesty buggers.

not the best day to be out, but paid off for us, and beats not going fishing at all.

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#2 Mar-31-08 6:14PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 3-30-08 Smallies and sleet

Great job on the 20 incher......and way to make the best of a tough situation. Really outstanding! This will get Jeff green with envy!!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Apr-01-08 7:52AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice Josh!!!! I am still waiting for my first 20" sad

smile

#4 Apr-01-08 7:53AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

If you had a green smiley face I would have used it.

smile

#5 Apr-01-08 7:58AM

Ernie
Administrator

http://d21c.com/walpurgis9/happies/faces/015.gif

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Apr-01-08 9:47AM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

now thats a green smiley