Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-30-10 7:06AM

Rob

Where to store my boat?

Working on buying a fly fishing drift boat. I live in a condo in Alexandria and boats are not allowed to be parked on our street. I am looking for a side street in the area (annandale / lincolina). Do I drive around till I find a street with boats? Ask people like here? Etc.

Does anyone have any idea on where to store the boat? Its about 16' long on a trailer.
Do I find someone with a big driveway and pay them some cash to let me park it there?

This is all new to me and I only have about 4 days to figure it out before the boat is no longer for sale.

Many thanks.

~Rob

#2 Aug-30-10 7:46AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Where to store my boat?

That's a tough challenge!

I have stored my boats (started with a 12' row boat) at Algonkian Regional Park way back in the early 80's but they have a long waiting list.

Check with Storage Facilities, they might have space outside but most charge way too much.

I think it's a good idea to post your plan on a couple of the fishing boards....

Good luck!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Aug-30-10 2:25PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

My buddy stores his Ranger at a place in West Springfield. It's basically overflow parking for a townhouse complex that has been gated off. You get a key if you store vehicles there. I'll ask him for some info and post it here.

Last edited by Dominion Dan (Aug-30-10 2:25PM)

#4 Aug-30-10 4:26PM

Rob

thanks for the replies. for now, this will help find a temporary space.

The next issue is that my honda CRV does not have a trailer hitch. I need to buy one to have my mechanic install it. Any suggestions on what to look for? Where to purchase one?

#5 Aug-30-10 4:35PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

#6 Sep-07-10 6:37AM

Rob

Picked up the trailer hitch at a u-haul in md last week. The car is now in the shop having it installed.

Any words of wisdom for a first time boat trailer owner and user? Any things that will help, other than keeping the emergency brake up when on the ramp?

#7 Sep-07-10 9:22AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Keep an eye on those bearings each use and make sure that tire pressure is correct through the changing seasons.  I usually unplug the electrical before I back it into the water..........don't forget to plug it back in after you pull out the boat.   

Oh yeah............always check to make sure the boat's drain plug is in securely before putting it in the water lol .

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#8 Sep-07-10 11:19AM

FishSauce

sorry I missed your post, but another place to buy trailer hitch and accessories would be etrailer.com,  I found they have decent prices and good support.  It was fairly easy to install the hitch and wiring harness by myself.

Board footer