Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-01-10 12:55PM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Shenandoah River State Park

My wife and I are looking forward to camping Sun thru Wed along the south fork of the Shenandoah River at Shenandoah River State Park in Bentonville, VA. http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/and.shtml

I'll bring the kayaks, fly gear, waders, spinning tackle, et al. Virginia's DGIF website shows the following for this area:

Foster's to Bentonville
Distance: 18 miles

Foster's can be accessed from Rt. 675 downstream of the bridge on the left bank of the river. The VDGIF takeout ramp at Bentonville can be reached from Rt. 613 downstream from the bridge on the left bank. Three Forest Service canoe ramps are located between the Foster's and Bentonville ramps. The Forest Service access points are Goods Landing (2 miles), Seakford (6 miles), and Batzell (11 miles). Canoe and trailer access is available at the Foster's and Bentonville ramps.

This section contains numerous Class I and Class II rapids which provide excellent canoeing and fishing. The best angling opportunities in this section will be for smallmouth bass, rock bass, and redbreast sunfish.

Bentonville to Simpson
Distance: 9.5 miles

Put in at Bentonville VDGIF ramp on Rt. 613. Takeout at Simpson VDGIF access on Rt. 623 (canoe access only). A rough trailer ramp in located at Karo (Rt. 340) approximately � mile upstream from Simpson. A shallow section of river with mostly rocks and ledges makes this good smallmouth territory. Class II rapids between Karo and Simpson could add a little excitement to the trip.

I'm relatively new to floating the river. Typically I wade fish. Anyone know about how long to float 10 miles this stretch of river? Appreciate any suggestions or tips... Thanks in advance.

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#2 Sep-01-10 1:46PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Shenandoah River State Park

I am hoping that Josh will chime in as this is his home water!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Sep-01-10 3:00PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

I've never used foster's, though it is an option, you have to go up almost to luray and cross the river and come back down. 

here's what I would suggest for trips.
burners to bentonville
burners is a little carry down to the river, but not too bad, just don't block the driveway at the end of the road when you park.
here's a link to the put it and takeout.   http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou … 4&z=16

this is a good all day float, even in this low water it shouldn't be too rocky and offers some good fishing opportunity.  It will be crowded in the last 3 miles with tubers, especially sunday and monday, so you might wait to do it on a weekday.

the next option is bentonville to the ramp at the state park, this is about 3 miles, so it can be a short float or you can stretch it out a bit.

the next access below state park is karo.  its gonna be boney down through there, but it shouldn't be too much trouble to navigate with a SOT kayak where its easy to get in and out.  heres a link to the takeout at karo and state park. 
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou … 1&z=13

you can also float from bentonville to karo which is an all day float.

these are the easiest floats to get to and from based at the state park. 

another set of floats that i like to do is newport to alma and alma to whitehouse....or you can go all the way from newport to whitehouse.  These access points are listed on the VDGIF website, so I won't bother with directions. 

if you want some more floats, just shoot me an email and I'll get you the details.

Josh

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#4 Sep-01-10 4:06PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Josh...

Is there still thieves in the campgrounds ?

Heard a lot stuff goes missing there.. just rumors I hope..

Capt Mike

Last edited by captmikestarrett (Sep-01-10 4:08PM)

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#5 Sep-01-10 5:48PM

Ernie
Administrator

And Happy Birthday Josh!

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Sep-01-10 9:05PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

I learned to fish at that park. I used to wade there all the time. It is a difficult wade. Lots of big bedrock that is hard on the legs.

#7 Sep-02-10 5:35AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

That's plenty, Josh and some good info. Many, many thanks!

Thieves at a campground? Some people have no honor. We'll be on alert. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm sure I'll wade in and explore as soon as we get settled. I have decent wading boots with good ankle support so hopefully will be able to move around OK. I'll post a report when I return.

Thanks!

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#8 Sep-02-10 12:04PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

capt mike -  i've never had any issues there, but i lived across the streeet for the last 3 years and never did much camping there, othere than a night or two when friends were there.

the wading can be trickey with the bedrock and the grass, just make sure not to get in a hurry and watch your footing and you'll be fine.

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

Board footer