Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-07-10 7:04PM

FishSauce

Riverbend 8.7.10

Got there around 10:45 in the am.  Walk upstream from the parking lot for about 10 minutes and then wade out into the river.  Fished a t-rig worm for about 30 minutes and got a bluegill.  Wade down river a little and toss the worm out again, a lot of little nibble on the worm and then a really hard pull, set the hook hard but the line came back cut...a few minutes later I noticed something roiling in the water as it drifted down stream pass me.  As it got closer, it looks like a 2ft long eel writhing, sinking and rising as it drifts down river.  Is it a coincident or did that eel cut my 6# line?  Does eel even have teeth?

Anyway, fished until around 1pm.  Caught a couple more BG and a SMB.  There were a lot of little fish swarming around biting my calves while I was wading...

Eel writhing in water...
http://members.cox.net/buyme/fishing/rb080710a.jpg
http://members.cox.net/buyme/fishing/rb080710b.jpg
Swarm of tiny fish nipping my legs..
http://members.cox.net/buyme/fishing/rb080710c.jpg
http://members.cox.net/buyme/fishing/rb080710d.jpg

#2 Aug-09-10 5:57AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Riverbend 8.7.10

That is a beautiful section of river. There are lots of big fish there also, but they will be elusive until fall.

smile

#3 Aug-09-10 6:13AM

Ernie
Administrator

All these years that I have lived in this area, I have only fished there once.....

Thanks for the report!

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Aug-18-10 6:49PM

bill3648

I have been wade fishing at Riverbend for about 6-7 years now.  I haven't had any great luck until this year.  I now fish from a kayak and can get to some good spots and get out to wade that in the past I couldn't do very easy.  I have fished there about 5 times since late June.  Here are my two best fish, the second was caught last Friday when it was overcast and a bit cooler. Both fish were caught with Gary Yamamoto senkos rigged wacky style.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/__jcdiBrHEMM/TGyMw … G_0473.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/__jcdiBrHEMM/TGyNR … G_0572.JPG

Last edited by bill3648 (Aug-18-10 6:51PM)

#5 Aug-18-10 7:03PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

now those are some good sized smallies!

#6 Aug-18-10 7:07PM

bill3648

Thanks!  I'm still figuring this freshwater stuff out.  I grew up fishing on the Eastern Shore of VA... moved to this area around 2000 and just starting to catch on the past 2-3 years.

Last edited by bill3648 (Aug-18-10 7:08PM)

#7 Aug-18-10 7:33PM

Ernie
Administrator

Welcome and excellent smallies!

Time to go fishin' again!

#8 Aug-19-10 5:03AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

I used to wade fish Riverbend quite a lot about 10 years ago. Also caught some similar looking smallies. It's a great spot. I got away from it when I had to travel on business just about every week! I no longer have to do that. I've tried it 2x this year with only a couple small ones to show for the effort. Looking forward to cooler temps!

Hey bill3648, I got into the kayak thing this year so let me know if you ever want company! I've yet to try it there. I'll bet it opens up some more opportunities...

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#9 Aug-19-10 7:14AM

FishSauce

Welcome Bill, those are nice smallies.  Never caught anything that size, never tried worms wacky rigged neither...I guess I have to experiment with that technique. With the barb exposed, does wacky style get hang up a lot?

#10 Aug-19-10 8:42AM

Sixspeedsam
Website

Hmm, never fished Riverbend before. Looking at the maps, looks pretty good. Do most folks go upstream or downstream? Noticed there were islands either way.

#11 Aug-19-10 9:06AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

I used to do best by walking to the left ALL the way upstream to the power lines. There is a creek that flows into the river just before the power lines and there is a decent ledge and gravel bar on the bank there. Last time I was there (probably a year or two ago) I also saw a huge fallen tree that had been wedged up against the bank but I don't know if it would still be there after the major flooding earlier this spring.

#12 Aug-19-10 5:49PM

bill3648

Fishsauce - I do occasionally get hung up rigged wacky style, but not as much as with treble hooks. It's usually caught behind a rock when I do.  I've only been using that setup since last summer, it always seems to produce when everything else I've tried doesn't.

When I did walk, I always went upstream about a 20 minute walk to the gas line that crosses the river.  Good spot to wade and you run into the occasional fly fishermen at the spot. The trail has been changed, so it is easier to park at the nature center vs the visitor center.   Now with the kayak I just paddle across the river closer to the C & O canal near Swains lock.  The boat launch is $5, they do rent jon boats and kayaks on the weekends.  I do know you have to have some kind of certification to rent a kayak, info on riverbend website.

I usually take off on a weekday and hardly run into anyone else fishing.

jffoley- i'd be up for some company, I normally take a day off during the week or go early on saturday mornings.  I like the fact I can find lots of spots to get out of the kayak when I want, since I don't have an anchor setup on the kayak yet, it's easier to get out.

Last edited by bill3648 (Aug-19-10 5:50PM)

Board footer