Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#26 Jan-17-10 7:10PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Re: Richmond Fishing Expo, January 15-17

purpleworm wrote:

I did fine punching last year with the Curado E7. Despite the higher gearing, this reel still has 11lbs of drag, which provided enough torque for me to haul in as much fish and grass as I could snag. I paired this with a quality 7'6 heavy action flipping stick and I've never had a problem. For me the 7:1 works great for just about everything I do, especially techniques like flipping/pitching and punching where you're trying to saturate an area with many small casts. The exception is cranking, especially bigger, deep-diving crankbaits. For this technique, the added power of a 5:1 geared reel helps cut down on fatigue and helps me control my cadence better. Of course this is just my preference, to each his own.

Tip: When punching or pitching heavy weights with a long rod, throw some quarters inside a rubber butt-cap and fasten it to the base of your rod to help balance it out. You wrist will thank me wink

The expo was fun, not so many great deals to be had though. I did manage to find some nice Don Iovino Splash-It's for half price, but most of my damage was done at Greentop. The vendor booths and seminars were pretty cool. I liked the Damiki stuff and the spinnerbait-building station at Dave's TT. The jigX booth had some neat stuff too, as well as some of the smaller companies that were selling handmade crankbaits and poured plastics. John Crews' seminar was pretty good, and I got to hear Gerald Swindle talk about crapping his pants in a tournament. I can see why the G man is so popular, dude had everyone in stiches the entire time he was up there. Definitely a career in stand-up comedy for him when he retires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10lLPlhmytc
HAHAHAH he's hilarious!

#27 Jan-17-10 7:24PM

flippin4it
Northern Snakehead

Thai, If you are pitchin the thicker mats (I am refering to the ones that you have to throw the bait 10-15 up in the air to punch with a 1.75oz tungston weight) it becomes that much harder to detect the bite. This gives the fish time to pick up the bait and move up and to the side under the mat. A extra heavy rod will serve 2 purposes. First being able to get the most positive hookset and second the ability to get the fish back to the hole you punched and get her out. Sometimes when fishing thicker mat, going in and getting it is not a option. I have stuck a larger fish in a thicker mat and was helpless, my rod was creaking. You wil know what I mean. My rod was "only" rated up to 1oz and I felt helpless. Now the guy I was with had an extra heavy and never ran into this problem. Same reel, same bait, same hook and same line. He is also half my size...LOL. He was using the St Croix LTBC73XHF. I used it for a short period and all I can say is I will be ready next time. He has asked me to fish as a sub in this year series, So I am on the prowl for something like it..........I might even strap on one of them there Ardent flippin reels........wink

#28 Jan-17-10 7:30PM

flippin4it
Northern Snakehead

Thai wrote:

purpleworm wrote:

I did fine punching last year with the Curado E7. Despite the higher gearing, this reel still has 11lbs of drag, which provided enough torque for me to haul in as much fish and grass as I could snag. I paired this with a quality 7'6 heavy action flipping stick and I've never had a problem. For me the 7:1 works great for just about everything I do, especially techniques like flipping/pitching and punching where you're trying to saturate an area with many small casts. The exception is cranking, especially bigger, deep-diving crankbaits. For this technique, the added power of a 5:1 geared reel helps cut down on fatigue and helps me control my cadence better. Of course this is just my preference, to each his own.

Tip: When punching or pitching heavy weights with a long rod, throw some quarters inside a rubber butt-cap and fasten it to the base of your rod to help balance it out. You wrist will thank me wink

The expo was fun, not so many great deals to be had though. I did manage to find some nice Don Iovino Splash-It's for half price, but most of my damage was done at Greentop. The vendor booths and seminars were pretty cool. I liked the Damiki stuff and the spinnerbait-building station at Dave's TT. The jigX booth had some neat stuff too, as well as some of the smaller companies that were selling handmade crankbaits and poured plastics. John Crews' seminar was pretty good, and I got to hear Gerald Swindle talk about crapping his pants in a tournament. I can see why the G man is so popular, dude had everyone in stiches the entire time he was up there. Definitely a career in stand-up comedy for him when he retires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10lLPlhmytc
HAHAHAH he's hilarious!

I caught that show too and the video explains it all and dang if he aint right!!!

#29 Jan-17-10 7:42PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

The Revo SX only tested out at 11 lbs of drag for the Tackle Tour guys. The STX is over 20lbs though.

#30 Jan-17-10 7:50PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Gotcha looks like I'm in the market for a XH rod now! There's a guy on BBC selling the 09 STX-L for 130 TYD, I think im going to have to jump on that

#31 Jan-18-10 7:54AM

flippin4it
Northern Snakehead

Thai wrote:

Gotcha looks like I'm in the market for a XH rod now! There's a guy on BBC selling the 09 STX-L for 130 TYD, I think im going to have to jump on that

Greentop has a web special on them.......

#32 Jan-18-10 8:14AM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

on the reel? The only special I see is for an STX-HS for 159.99....

And if you're looking for a punching rod theres a Powell Flipping 766c on BBC for 130

#33 Jan-18-10 9:41AM

flippin4it
Northern Snakehead

I have an issue with buying a rod or reel without holding it. It has been a let down in the past. Thats the reason I was on the mad hunt for a Stradic CI4 on Friday, I needed to confirm that it is what I want.  I won't be sub-ing until late june, so I have time. Do you know of a local retailer that carries Powell?

#34 Jan-18-10 10:05AM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Dont know of any local retailer but tell ya what If you do decide to purchase that powell and I'll send you the link and dont like it, I'll buy it from ya

#35 Jan-18-10 11:29AM

flippin4it
Northern Snakehead

LOL, I see how you are. Your like my buddy Trevor. I have a strange feeling that we are going to do some wheeling and dealing between the 2 of us...Have you tried a Kistler yet?

#36 Jan-18-10 2:06PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

I've tossed Dans Mag TS flipping stick around a bit but I dont think a flipping stick is the best way to gauge a company's rod quality so I'll just say no..

On another note a buddy of mine does have the powell 766c and I'm going to try it out, let me know if you would like to get your hands on it also

#37 Jan-18-10 2:10PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Rob, they had a whole rack of Powells at DTT on Friday!

#38 Jan-18-10 2:16PM

flippin4it
Northern Snakehead

But not the X/HVY.....

#39 Jan-18-10 5:01PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

ahhhh. gotcha.

Board footer