Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-04-10 5:29AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

How hard is it to learn to fly fish?

So, I've got a dilemma. Heading to Riviera Maya tomorrow night and spending the week in Mehico smile, and really wanted to get some fishing done. Apparently the reports all say that the bill fishing right now is very weak so it's either jigging or fishing the flats with flies.  I want to try the fly fishing charters but am afraid I won't have fun if I can't get the hang of fly fishing. Do you think it's something I can learn on the fly (no pun intended) or should I stick with what I know?

#2 Jan-04-10 6:09AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: How hard is it to learn to fly fish?

Andrew- I would not hire a charter to go fly fishing for your 1st try. However, that  will depend on what you are going after and how. As an example, if you are going bonefishing, chasing permit or tarpon (or any other "sight casting" fish) it would be a totally frustrating experiance since it's all about the cast. If you were going for deep water species, you have a chance as most of the line is tendered while moving so in reality you are dumping line or trolling.

I would stick to jigging and conventional casting.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jan-04-10 6:44AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Sounds like a plan. Thanks Ernie. The flats fishing was for tarpon, permit, bonefish, etc.

#4 Jan-04-10 7:24AM

Ernie
Administrator

You might want to take a reel or two for your casting pleasure.

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer