Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-02-09 4:12PM

flippin4it
Northern Snakehead

Lets talk Cubans!

Cigars that is. What is the law on bring them back to the USA, say from the Doninican Replublic? Flying if it matters.

#2 Dec-02-09 4:32PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Lets talk Cubans!

It is illegal to buy Cuban cigars and import them to the United States. It doesn't matter where you buy them or how you bring them here. Unless you are returning from a special, legal trip to Cuba, you can't bring them back through customs. There are ways around it but it is still illegal.

Why don't you just buy some Dominican cigars?

Last edited by Dominion Dan (Dec-02-09 4:35PM)

#3 Dec-02-09 6:55PM

Ernie
Administrator

DD is right!

A lot of Cuban cigars are not worth a dime....some are fake.

Get some good Dominicans and have at 'em!

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Dec-02-09 7:05PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

I'm sure I would even able to tell the difference between a Cuban and a Dominican. I'm not convinced where it's made matters all THAT much. It's more how it's made and what it's made from.

Last edited by Dominion Dan (Dec-02-09 7:05PM)

#5 Dec-02-09 8:04PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

I was unaware of this law when I visited the Dominican Republic this spring and brought a small box of Cohibas back, along with a couple other boxes of Domincan cigars. When I found out, I told the customs officer I had them and asked if I could just throw them away. She was really nice and just let me go through with them, as I would have had a long paperwork delay and probably would have missed my connecting flight had I turned them in.
You could probably get away with sneaking a box back in your luggage if you really wanted to, but I don't know if it's worth breaking the law over a box of stogies. I recommend smoking the cubans on the beach while you're there, and then bringing home some nice Domincan ones. The Cohibas were great though, probably the finest I've ever smoked.

Board footer